Hot water stinks!

Our hot water has developed a strong odor. History: Cane back from a week of vacation and the hot water had an odor to it, sort of metallic smelling. I wrote it off to the water standing for 7 days without use. The odor got stronger as the week went on. I checked the water softener and found it to be low on salt. Replenished that, manually ran the softener and the smell seemed to get better, not completely go away, but it was less intense. Now the smell is getting stronger again and we are only half-way to a new softener cycle. Is this a cumulative effect? Because it was low on salt, I need to manually recharge the softener several times so it catches up? Or?? Private well Copper plumbing Water heater 1 year old Cold water has no odor, both the softened taps and the kitchen unsoftened.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
JJ

I think if you do a google search, you will find a lot of info on this. Water heaters have been known to do this, and as I recall, it's caused by a non harmful type of bacteria. There are various solutions.

Reply to
trader4

Yep, it's the bacteria. Had that problem with the cabin just a couple of months ago. You will need to get some chlorine into the tank. The easiest way, as well as best in order to sanitize the plumbing, is to shock the well.

**** Turn off the power to the water heater and drain the tank. If possible, turn off the incoming water to the tank**** 1). Mix a quart of bleach into 4 or 5 gallons of water and pour it into the well head. 2). Hook a hose to an exterior spigot and turn on until you smell the chlorine. Then, put the running end into the well head and let it circulate for a few minutes (I did 3). 3). Now, turn on an interior faucet closest to the water heater. Let run until you smell chlorine. Shut off and open the water heater inlet valve. You will likely run out of chlorine by the time this is done and will have to repeat #1. My tank has no valve on the incoming line so I opened the drain line until I smelled chlorine. 4). Start at the most distant faucets and repeat at each faucet in and outside the house. If, at any point you no longer smell chlorine you must repeat step one and then return to the faucet where you no longer smelled the bleach. 5). Let stand for 6 to 8 hours and then flush each leg.

It worked for me. Time will tell. Sometimes you can get a bacteria bloom at the well head and have to repeat this task. I previously had well water at our residence for 15 years and never had to but others in the neighborhood did. Go figure.

Reply to
C & E

Sometimes smell problems in hot water can be fixed by replacing the magnesium anode rod with an aluminum anode rod in the water heater. Your plumber can special order one as not many suppliers stock them.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch