Hot Water Heater Pilot

I live near in area where we routninely have significant wind gusts. Several times a year, our gas water heater pilot light will be "blown out", due to the wind going Down our roof vent exhaust pipe.

Is there an item, that I can install, likely on the top of that vent pipe, to prevent that "downward air flow" ?

I am REAL sick of cold showers, and re-lighting that damn pilot light!

Reply to
Rob_Lowe

Yes, there are many styles of flue caps. Get one made from stainless steel so you don't end up with rust stains on the roof.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I used to have that problem. My water heater is in a dedicated closet with a vent in the floor (raised foundation) and a vent in the cieling (in addition to the flue). The previous owners had intalled carpeting, and trimmed the bottom of the WH closet door to clear the carpet. When I removed the carpteting, the pilot-light/wind problem got worse (clue-phone ringing). So I put a 2x2 across the door opening inside the closet (tight to the closed door), and the light hasn't blown out for 12 years. I did NOT have to block any of the vents.

YMMV.

Reply to
croy

Uncle Monsters web site url did not work!!

Reply to
hrhofmann