hot water furnace question

I have an old oil hot water furnace and I was wondering if I could reduce the amount of time and duration it fires up if I added a hot water tank before or after it? My father in law has a newer, multi zone one and I noticed he has a hotwater tank beside his. I noticed his doesnt come on as often as mine does.

My old one is dude for replacement in the next few years and I was also wondering in what way a new one is better?

mike

Reply to
miker

Actually, all other things being same, the higher the duty cycle of your burner, the higher the efficiency, for a couple of reasons. The tank is a red herring.

New unit, properly sized and set up, will likely be much more efficient.

What you can do right now: install servo-controlled flue damper. Insulate and seal house. Reduce heating to areas that don't need it. Maybe reduce spray-tip size a bit, to increase duty-cycle, in consultation with service tech.

barry

No, you don't. You have an oil fired boiler. Furnaces heat air, boilers heat water.

and I was wondering if I could reduce

I don't have any personal experience with them, but you can start researching here

In theory, a larger reservoir requires less cycling, but it still takes a given amount of energy to heat water to a given temperature. You want to do it as efficiently as possible.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski