HOT MOP? urgent

Hi, I'm adding a shower and was goint to use the rolled rubber they sell at home depot, but someone mention I need a HOT MOP to seal the shower otherwise it would leak.
I called a plumber and he said he never used the hot mop, only the rubber.
Do I need or not the HOT MOP and if I do, how much does it cost to get someone to pour it.
I'm in orange county, CA.
Thanks,
Ruben

No need for hot mop

I believe "hot mop" is a different process. I recommend significant research on mud-set shower pan constrruction before starting.
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php http://www.johnbridge.com/shower_curbs.htm http://www.johnbridge.com/shower_curbs2.htm http://www.johnbridge.com/toc.htm http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mud+set+shower+pan+do-it-yourself

I have seen a hot mop job done on a few poured concrete shower pans and tubs. A hot mop is hot liquid tar that is literally mopped onto the floor, walls, or roof that you want sealed. It does a very good job of sealing, but if you have a wood floor base I don't think that you need a bucket of hot stinky tar being dragged into your house.
If you want or need a hot mop job call a roofing contractor as they have the necessary equipment and experience.

Have you ever seen Hot Mop in progress on a roofing job, its is a tar cooker on a trailer cooking at maybe 200-300f stinking up the neighborhood with molten tar smell, the tar comes in big solid 50 lb blocks and is cooked to liqued.

Hot mop is very popular in California. It is a time tested and proven method. When installed correctly you can easily get 50 years of life out of your shower. You can check out my website for further info on its process. http://www.ojedashowerpans.com
Actually I did, can you tell how much do you aproximately charge for that?
Also, you wouldn't reccomend the rubber roll at all?
Just trying to get a professional opinion.
Thanks,
Ruben

Hot mop is very popular in California. It is a time tested and proven method. When installed correctly you can easily get 50 years of life out of your shower. You can check out my website for further info on its process. http://www.ojedashowerpans.com

Hot mop is old school. It works, but anyone telling you have to have it or you will have a leak is either selling you something or misinformed.
There are several ways to provide a totally waterproof shower that don't require hot mop.
http://kitchen-remodeling-pictures.com/bathroom-remodel/bathroom-shower-tile/hot-mop-shower-pan.htm Read the last line.
There are alternatives.

http://kitchen-remodeling-pictures.com/bathroom-remodel/bathroom-shower-tile/hot-mop-shower-pan.htm
http://www.schluter.com/143.aspx

Exactly. And there are others.

Hot mop one method of water proofing a shower pan. The plastic membrane is the new way.
I've got 80 year old house (Santa Ana). Upstairs shower redone nearly 30 years ago, hot mop.....no leaks. I recently examined the underside of the upstairs work when doing the downstairs shower....looks good, probably outlast me.
Downstairs shower redone ~1 year ago...plastic (PVC?) membrane...no leaks yet! :) And I can keep my eye on it from the "basement".
I'm pretty good at a lot of stuff but I'd never tackle my own shower (or anyone else's) without some experience as a helper on another install(s). Rookies can do it but getting it wrong would seem like a real pain. Make sure you do the leak test before mudding.
cheers Bob
Thank you guys for your help. I'm going the rubber way, less messy.
Ruben

The difference between the liner is that when you put the liner in it is loose and your corner usually end up too thick for cement board or hardi-backer, If you lathe and scratch your shower you would probably be fine. The mythe that hot mop is messy is a false one. Hire a professional and your hands stay clean! The smoke is usually vented through the nearest window with a high powered fan. In any case just make sure you slope your shower with mortar before installing a liner...and always water test!! Good luck!