Hot dimmer switch...

Hi all...
I have dimmer switches in all of my bathrooms.
One of them is fine, but the other is always warm, almost hot to the touch when in use. They're push on/off, rotary dimmer.
I've replaced the switch, but the problem remains. the only difference is that the "hot" dimmer controls 8 60 watt bulbs and the "cold" dimmers control 6 and 4 bulbs.
Does anyone have any idea of what's going on? Are there too many bulbs on the "hot" switch?
A clue would be vastly appreciated.
Simeon
--
The address in the header *is* actually replyable.
If replying, use mail or post here. Please, not both

Is the hot dimmer rated for 480 watts? More power will mean more heat, but an under-rated dimmer will get too hot.
Bob

Typically never run dimmers at more than 80% of the rating. If you move up in the % you will find that they do not last as long.

I have a dimmer that will work in your situation.. It's about 18" diameter, and made out of cast iron with a cast iron lever-arms that sticks out that you crank around.. It's rated at 830 Watts. Of course, it's got exposed copper contacts on the front of it, but that's a minor issue...
--Goedjn