Horse keeps unplugging cord to stock tank (drinking water)

Page 3 of 3
On 1/5/2016 7:21 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Ah, but all of your excellent suggestions require something the OP doesn't wish to expend... EFFORT!
Now, if you could just have the horse do this herself while he whines that "it should be so" you'd have it licked!<g>
On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 09:04:59 -0600, Unquestionably Confused

* PLONK *
Oren posted for all of us...

Well, you are the exact opposite of Homo Gay. When you get done your stuff go to his place so you can hear him whine in person.
--
Tekkie

I actually did something similar to #2 on an exterior tank. The outlet is under the eaves on the barn, and I have some very tough hose made for commercial applications, fastened to the wall of the barn. This hose is big enough to accept the plugs, because the plug from the heater is plugged into an extension cord inside that hose, since those heaters only have 5' or 6' cords. That has worked well for years. I could probably do the same thing inside, IF I could get more of that hose. (I got it at an auction, and dont know what it's made for, or where to get more). If I use solid conduit, I cant dump the tank to clean it, and I've never seen flex conduit big enough for the plugs.
However, I did solve the problem. I had an old fuse box which I'd never use anyhow. I removed the guts, sawed a hole in the back to fit over the outlet, and screwed it to the wall over the outlet. All I got to do is open the door on it to service the outlet. Then I put the cord thru a piece of steel pipe below the box, just to the height of the water tank. The cord has a steel spiral (like a spring) to pretect the rest of it which is inside the tank.
Problem solved!
On 01/05/2016 10:32 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote: ...

That'll certainly be better...there should never be any loose wiring accessible where any animal can get at it -- they _will_ make a mess of it at some point and relying as you were on the GFCI as last resort when they do is just bad idea.
All the feedlots here have buried service to the waterers; the couple of fixed tanks are basically treated the same; we plumbed the service feed thru the bottom so it doesn't freeze and the heaters are also wired underground to solid junction boxes with no exposed wiring. They're 10-ft min so there's no question of turning 'em over, though...

What you have are permanent tanks. They work well, but they are very costly to install as far as digging pipes in the ground and so on. And inside the barn, I move them around as I move animals around as well as creating temporary stalls from pipe gates, so I often use those heated buckets too. So, having something permanent limits me to animal placement. In warm weather they are all outdoors, but in winter I have youngsters and older animals indoors much of the time.
I have another horse who always tossed his heater out of his tank. (A very annoying habit). I got a piece of exhaust pipe from the muffler shop, had them put a bend in it. Then I made a hole in the wall into the adjoining feed room, and shoved it thru the wall and into the tank. The heater cord goes thru that pipe, and is plugged into an outlet in the feed room. That pipe swivels so it's easy to lift from the tank for tank cleaning. Each situation is different, and this one was tough because that horse seemed intent on tossing that heater out. Then he'd act all upset because his water was frozen when I'd check it. Sometimes they do stuff that makes no sense, and seems really stupid.
Then again, we have a kids pony who turns the light on an off in her stall. She does it at will. I dont care if she does it, I put a LED bulb in there that only uses 3W. But she turns it on at dusk and after she's done eating, she turns it off. She's very intelligent, and shows it in other ways too, such as opening the upper dutch door on her stall. I like it when they are smart like her. The small ponies seem to be more intlligent on the average.
On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 11:36:09 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

With bushings on the box and pipe and anywhere else the wire enters or leaves either, of course.
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

In this case I think "without" would be the operative word.
--
Tekkie