Horizontal streaks HP LaserJet 3200m scans

Page 1 of 2
How do I get rid of horizontal streaks HP LaserJet 3200m copies and scans?
Whether I copy or scan, I get horizontal streaks like this: ______________________________________ |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |-------------------------------------| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |-------------------------------------| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |-------------------------------------| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |-------------------------------------| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| ______________________________________
What is the cause and solution for these horizontal streaks?
On 6/25/2016 9:44 AM, Emran M. wrote:

Measure the distance between the streaks.
Using the downloadable service manual, or the "Print Quality" help page, you can isolate which element is contributing to these streaks due to how far apart they are (each of the rotating elements are a different diameter, so their tell marks are different spacings apart.)
RwP
On 25/06/2016 15:49, Ralph Phillips wrote:

+1
On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 16:11:09 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

But the paper scans down in a vertical direction, which means the rollers must be vertical.
Yet, the streaks are horizontal (in the opposite direction in which the paper physically moves down through the scanner).
On 25/06/2016 17:17, Emran M. wrote:

In that case the corona wire needs cleaning
On 2016-06-25 10:49 AM, Ralph Phillips wrote:

the easiest rotating bit to replace.
--
Froz....

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 11:33:08 -0400, FrozenNorth wrote:

But there is no toner in the case of scanning a photo.
1. I put the photo in the scanner slot (the HP LaserJet 3200m is not a flatbed)
2. I bring up IrfanView on Windows & select IrfanView: File > Acquire/Batch Scanning
3. That scans the photo into the computer but the result is horizontal streaks (perpendicular to the direction of the paper flow).
The glass plate inside is about 9 or 10 inches wide and 3/4 inch tall and I cleaned it before asking you what the problem was.
I don't see anything else inside that "sees" the photo other than that paper-width wide strip of 3/4-inch wide glass.
The conundrum is that the streaks are in the opposite direction as anything that touches the photo (the rollers roll in the vertical direction but the streaks are in the horizontal direction).
That enigma should give me a clue as to what the cause is, but I can't think of anything that goes horizontally.
This is what the HP LaserJet 3200m looks like
https://www.tradebit.com/usr/manuals4u/pub/9002/118383850_HPLaserJet32003200Mservman01.jpg
The manual is 10 dollars https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/118383850-hp-laserjet-3200-3200m-series-service-repair
On 25/06/16 17:28, Emran M. wrote:

https://archive.org/details/printermanual-hp-laserjet-3200-service-manual
--
Adrian C

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 16:28:32 -0000 (UTC), "Emran M."

Hmmm... 15 year old printer. Is it dirty inside?
If it's a thin black line, such streaks are usually caused by the laser scanner or formatter electronics. Some dust on the rotating mirror might do the trick (not sure). However, that doesn't quite match your vague description.
The various rollers will leave their footprints, but not as a continuous line across the page. However, if it's a broad smear, it can easily be a burnt toner cartridge that was left in the sun, which then burned the drum. A scorched fuser roller will do much the same thing. Please heed the advice of others to measure the distance between the horizontal lines, divide the distance by 2*Pi, which should yield the diameter of the offending roller.
If you want to continue this, I suggest you take a photo of an offending page, post it to a public photo site, so we can look at it. Otherwise, make an effort to be more specific than "horizontal streaks".

Free service manual: <http://www.lbrty.com/tech/Manuals_HP/3200sm.pdf

No brain today. Too hot. That should be divide the distance between the lines by Pi to get the roller diameter.
On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 10:03:32 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

It's not dirty inside as far as I know what to look for. In fact, it's pretty clean.
Here is a scan of a photo that was put in the slot long-side horizontal. So the scan was vertical.
http://i.cubeupload.com/dmSy3Y.jpg
Notice that the scan was from the top to the bottom of this picture (from head to toe) but the "scratch" lines are from side to side (which is not the direction that the paper moved).
There isn't any moving object side to side, is there?
(The horizontal scratches are not in the original photo!)
On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 20:06:46 -0000 (UTC), "Emran M."

Hit the inside of the machine with some compressed air. Ummm... remove the toner cartridge first. You'll be amazed at what can blow out of insides. Also, turn it upside down to remove staples and paper clips.

I think that means that your landscape photo moved through the mechanism lengthwise, or from left to right. Is that correct? I'm not sure because the landscape photo shows white lines perpendicular to the stylized lines shown in your original posting. Perhaps it might be better if you abandon the landscape scan and switch to a more consistent portrait scan? Extra credit for annotating the JPG to highlight the problem.

I thought it was the horizontal white scratches that you wanted to eliminated. I don't see any scratches perpendicular to the white scratches.
However, if it is the white scratches that are the problem, the answer is obvious. You have some dirt, white out, toner, or label glue stuck to the document scanner window. In the service manual:
Go thee unto Pg 226. That's the document scanner assembly on the front lid (behind the keyboard). The should be a narrow glass window in the document scanner somewhere. It's usually about 1/4" x 8.5" and runs along the width of the page. I can't find it in the various exploded views, but it has to be there. My guess(tm) is that it's covered with speckles of dirt, crud, dust, white-out, glue, etc. Clean it and the white streaks should disappear on the scans. Just follow the paper path during scanning. It should be somewhere along the path.
Another possible cause is that you have light leaking into the document scanner assembly causing the white streaks. I can't tell from here where it might be leaking in. Try a scan with the room lights turned off, or with a cardboard box over the 3200m, and see if the streaks disappear.
Good luck.
wrote: (...)
More:
You might want to try calibrating the document scanner: <http://manualmachine.com/hp/laserjet-3200-all-in-one/195531-service-manual/page:20/ <http://manualmachine.com/hp/laserjet-3200-all-in-one/195531-service-manual/page:21/ In the document scanner calibration, it proclaims:
2 Before recalibrating the document scanner, open the document scanner and place a page that contains the black or white lines between the guides, just above the contact image sensor glass. The black or white line points to a portion of the glass that requires extra attention.
3 Clean the contact image sensor glass at the point indicated by the black or white line.
6 If the vertical black or white line appears on the copy of the demonstration page, continue with steps 7 through 13 below.
13 Line up the calibration graph with a newly copied page. If the dip in the calibration graph corresponds to the black or white line, the contaminant is likely internal and the contact image sensor assembly should be replaced.
In typed:

I have al Brother printers and faxes and their service and support seem pretty good.
When I search for help on your HP Laserjet 3200, the HP support site seems almost useless. Not a good sign. (Incidentally, I recently bought two HP desktop computers, and I am amazed at how crappy they turned out to be -- just weird little stuff like the crappiest keyboard and mouse that I have ever seen, no indicator light to show that the hard rive is working, a hokey vertically mounted cd/dvd drive, etc. But, the computers were cheap, so I guess I got what I paid for).
Meanwhile, my Brother printers say that when there is a vertical streak running down the page, I need to open it up and wipe clean the narrow piece of glass inside that "sees"/"reads" the document. If it is horizontal lines, spaced 3.7 inches apart, it could mean a new drum is needed, or do the wire slide trick they tell you about in the Brother documents.
And, I can go online and get any Brother manual without having to pay for it.
Anyway, here's one HP link that might help, but it is worded poorly and I am not sure what it means you are supposed to do:
https://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid $354&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04038806

their pro products are reasonable quality - but by almost any measure - over-priced. A well used 10 year old HP printer is very likely to outlast any of their current brand new product.
On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 09:49:29 -0500, Ralph Phillips wrote:

But the streaks are horizontal, while the rollers must (by nature) be vertical???
On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 16:16:02 -0000 (UTC), "Emran M."

I thought you put the 11" side first and notebook-sized paper moved 8 1/2 inches. So the rollers would be parallel to the 11" side.
I've read all your posts and they all seem to say that, except for your conclusion that the rollers are vertical. I don't like either horiz or vert, I don't know what they mean, but I do like parallel or perpendicult to 11" side.
Does your owners manual have a troubleshooting section?

(8 1/2") of a sheet enters the printer so that edge is parallel to the rollwers in the printer. Tony
On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 22:45:51 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote:

you have a defective or damaged image drum. I've seen likely a hundred of them with that kind of problem (unable to see your image, but your keyboard art tells the story)
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

indicate (nearly but slightly unclearly) that it does not happen when printing from a computer. That makes it a scanner engine problem, and rollers don't cause scanner quality issues (only feed isues). Tony