Honeywell Thermostat: "Change Filter" Msg. Question

Hello,
Have a gas fired, hot air furnace.
Last year they put in on of these really fancy, 7 day programmable Honeywell thermostats for it. Works fine.
Every month or so, I replace the filter.
The thermostat has just come up with a message to change the filter.
Am I correcdt that this message is based purely on time elapsed, and that I never "reset" it at the time I changed the filter (don't know how to) ?
In other words, it really does Not monitor the filter's condition at all, just elapsed time ?
Right ?
Thanks, B.
You are correct-- the thermostat measures run time. It has no way to actually monitor the filter itself. Larry

You are correct sir. There is a sub menu to turn off that message, I'd have to get the book out to tell you how, but my Honeywell did that too. I think it is aimed at the big once a year filters.

Yep it's just a timer really. You can go here http://yourhome.honeywell.com/Consumer/Cultures/en-US/Products/Thermostats/ and find a manual for your unit.
George
Robert11 wrote:

Not elapsed time, like every 3 months, but elapsed fan run time so a more accurate reflection of the filters expected condition. You'll get a longer interval during the "off" seasons with minimal heating and cooling. You might even be able to adjust the time setpoint to better match the filters you are using and dust conditions. One feature I'd like to see is a minimum fan run time function to insure the fan cycles for air filtering purposes even if heating or cooling is not required.

If you have that type of thermostat, you can do that. Just set your fan setting to CIRC. The fan runs at random intervals about 35% of the time.
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

Which thermostats support that feature?

Mine is a VisionPro TH-8320U, a 7-day programmable, http://customer.honeywell.com/Techlit/pdf/69-0000s/69-1701.pdf.
My guess is most VisionPro and VisionPro IAQ models have this. The list is at
http://yourhome.honeywell.com/Consumer/Cultures/en-US/Products/Thermostats/Programmable/Professionally-Installed/Default.htm

As someone else replied, this is based on elapsed fan run time. You can turn this feature off or change the setting:
Press your System button (Heat, Cool, Off) Press the blank center square at the bottom and hold for about 5 seconds until the special features menu comes on Press the up button through the feature setup (four-digit) numbers until you get to number 0500 It will be set to a number from 0 to 6:
0 - Off 1 - 10 fan run time days 2 - 30 3 - 60 4 - 90 5 - 120 6 - 365
To change setup number, press the Up or Down arrow key to the right of 0500 to change the number between 0 and 6. Press Done at bottom left.
Honeywell assumes 33% average daily use, so 10 fan run time days, on average, corresponds to one calendar month. As some have said, during low use months this message will come up less often, and during heavy use months, more often. If you faithfully change the filter monthly, you might as well disable this feature.
Now if we could only get it to automatically adjust to the new daylight savings dates...

I have one of those thermostats. It's just a timer.
I ignore that message, and clean the filter (I use a washable filter) on the first of every month, as before.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com