Home Protection Tips??

I was checking around the net for some home security repair/tips after my place was broken into in the middle of the day. I did find one semi-helpful site: www.discovery.com/allstate.
Hoping that people can point me in the right direction - do you have any tips or know of any books or articles that would help.
Thanks.
Your local police will come by and go over your house and its weakneses, and give advise on what to do, free.
Forget all the home security and take out a bigger insurance policy. A safe that is too big and heavy for 3 men to carry off is about all you can do. Don't keep much money in the house. Anyone that is prepaired will be in and out in a short time nomater what you do for a reasonable price..

the place without breaking the bank. The burglar probably lives in your neighborhood. Catching the little bastard and giving pictures to his parents will probably get your stuff back.If not give the pictures to the cops. You can even look in from work if you have a broadband connection.
Certainly there are things you can do to harden the house against people who don't want to break a window but you start making it a death trap when you go beyond that. (bars and such)
In short, make you house more difficult and less desirable to break into than your neighbors.
Physical security is best. Bars on doors/windows. Locked fence. Etc.
Then at least alarm stickers all over the place. This will discourage them. Get stickers/signs here... http://needdecals.stores.yahoo.net/homsecsigand.html
Cameras (along with signs) even if not connected can get them to go elsewhere.
If you do the above and they still break in (very bad areas), then get high security locks (Medico), an alarm system, and/or real cameras with 24 hour recording. Alarms in yellow pages (security), cameras and recorders here... http://www.cctvdynamics.com

I've seen fake cameras advertised. Maybe the intruders learn to recognize those now.

Mark Lloyd
12 Gauge shotgun semi-auto with 8 rounds of Magnum Turkey loads. It will blow a hole in a solid wood door the size of xxl pizza.
alana3317 wrote:

mmmmmm.....xxl pizza....

Home protection can be broken down into several areas:
1. Hardening the site (sturdy doors, locks, burglar bars), 2. Discouraging the malefactor through threat of instant discovery and apprehension (monitored alarms, stickers), and 3. Killing the goblins.
Regarding #3, remember, whatever you say to the authorities, will convict you irrespective of whether you're guilty. The safest thing to say - if you have to say something - is: "I'm distraught. I think I'm having a heart attack. I need to go to the hospital." Use the interregnum to contact your lawyer. The next safest thing is: "I heard him scream 'I've got an axe. I'm gonna kill you and every member of your freaking family! And your dog, too! I'm the real Freddy Kreuger!' And I, in fear for my life, fired a warning shot but I was shaking so much from fear the bullet hit him in the forehead. I have to lie down."
Dogs are excellent, burglars dont want to deal with barking and attention........
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yup. a big scary looking dog and vicious cats. And living in a better neighborhood makes difference too.

bag. The goblin won't be any deader if found behind KMart rather than on your living room floor but your life will be a lot less complicated. Wear gloves. No fingerprints when you load his sorry carcase into it. This presumes you're not some dickless pussy who's afraid of firing a gun. You DO have a house gun? If not, practice up on your begging.