Home lighting via LED bulbs off ebay

Just spent about $20 and bought a couple of LED flood lights, with 120 degree light spread. And a couple LED "corn cob" lights. Anyone else used these? Are they any good? I'm sure I'll find out in about two weeks.

Curious what others have found. At church, the flood lights are getting great reviews, as "can lights" in the ceiling.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi Chris:

I haven't used LED floods, but we just set up LED bar lights for undercabinet lighting in our kitchen. They're fine, but check the "color temperature" and make sure you like the color--the lower temps. are (paradoxically) the "warmer" colors. Higher color temperatures tend toward the bluish-white. They're supposed to last almost forever, and I suppose the price should come down, just as CF bulbs have become cheaper.

Steve

Reply to
Steven Bornfeld

Thanks. I should order one or two, and see if I like them. Good wisdom. Thank you.

.

Hi Chris:

I haven't used LED floods, but we just set up LED bar lights for undercabinet lighting in our kitchen. They're fine, but check the "color temperature" and make sure you like the color--the lower temps. are (paradoxically) the "warmer" colors. Higher color temperatures tend toward the bluish-white. They're supposed to last almost forever, and I suppose the price should come down, just as CF bulbs have become cheaper.

Steve

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:24u5r.17045$% snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

I have been looking at LEDs, but so far, I only have a 3-light (1w/per) little bar under a cupboard over the kitchen counter. It really was too expensive to get more. Which models and from which store have you found affordable, if I may ask?

Reply to
Han

I have three LED floods in cans in my kitchen ceiling and love them. Instant on, nice clean bright light which is much better than the CFL's they replaced.

I have two ceiling fans with candelabra bulbs that I put some corn cob LEDs. Light wise they are sufficient, although I would like them to have more lumens. The only downside is that they project an interesting pattern on the ceiling and when I run the fans, I fear that I'm going to go into a seizure

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

From the Facebook page of Genesis:

In the beginning of God's preparing the heavens and the earth -- 2 the earth hath existed waste and void, and darkness is on the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God fluttering on the face of the waters, 3 and God saith, 'Let LED light be;' and LED light is. 4 And God seeth the LED light that it is efficient, and God separateth between the LED light and the darkness, 5 and God calleth to the LED light 'Day,' and to the darkness He hath called 'Night;' and there is an evening, and there is a morning -- day one.

Reply to
Myopic

Unless they're Energy Star rated, you won't know if they're good or not because you won't know if they've even been tested or how. You are the test.

Let us know.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

I always need to know color temperature. These LEDs are never going to last as long as typically stated,50 k hours. If they run hot, look for more like

10 k hours. Warm, 20 k hours upward. Some fail early. Probably a few more years to get a good feel on them.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

The long life claim for LEDs is probably as bogus as the claims for CFLs. While the light elements themselves may last a long time, the ballasts fail as quick or quicker than incandescent bulbs. It's almost a scam.

Reply to
mcp6453

I was surprised to read some high-lumen LEDs have fans. Seems the step-down generates the heat. Recently heard they have a better method - wonder if it is just a clipper diode.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

I made a 45 watt led from 9 5 watt LEDs. LEDs insulated with diamond dust epoxy, mounted on copper plate, mounted on aluminum heatsink, fan attached to sink. I'm still thinking about it. That failed because of need to focus the beam into a tight solid spot. It's hard to get nice even spot for a camera. That was a green light, too bright to look at. Diamond? Diamond has the best heat conduction, many times better than copper.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

What are corn cob lights?

Reply to
piper

Log onto

and type in LED corn. See what you get.

So named, cause they look a lot like corn cobs.

.

What are corn cob lights?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon