Home Heating Options for Rural Midwest Residents?

Page 4 of 8
SoCalMike wrote:

I thought it was better to change the oil when the engine is warm, because more of the nasty stuff you want to remove from the engine (tiny particles of metal, and other dirt too) is suspended in the oil when it has recently been stirred up well, and therefore you get more of it out.
I could be wrong about that, but it seems like it would be a factor if that is true.
- Logan
On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 03:50:34 GMT, in misc.consumers.frugal-living Logan Shaw

Well it all depends on if you Engine Brake or coast to a stop.
Logan Shaw wrote:

car, yes. fry machine? negligable.

You missed most of this thread. We're discussing bio fuels made from cooking oil in fryers, not engine oil.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah, I hit "n" to go to the next article and didn't notice that the subject changed (i.e. that I was on a new thread). Oops.
We now return you to your regularly-scheduled bio-fuel discussion...
- Logan

The reference is to changing the oil in a fryer, not changing the oil in an automotive engine.
Ken
No, the oil congeals. Turns solid. Has to be drained and handled while hot.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.
snipped-for-privacy@kfc.net wrote:

I have a working relationship with my restaurants. It's not usually a minimum wage kid, it's a family member, but the kid does what the boss says, and if that's putting the oil back in the jugs, then that's what he does. If he doesn't, then another kid who will takes his place. I try not to collect from drums. nasty stuff ....
--
Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust, http://www.green-trust.org

I can't believe they keep a bunch of empty jugs around just waiting to get rid of the grease. Sounds crazy to me after handling thousands and thousands of gallons of the stuff.
Neon John wrote:

Thanks for the informative post.
http://www.distributiondrive.com/Article3.html

Best, Dan.
--
Add one for email

Dan Bloomquist wrote:

Indeed, it was informative. Mostly wrong, but still informative. I wonder where folks get their notions ....
--
Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust, http://www.green-trust.org
Steve Spence wrote:

From a website called green-trust.org?
http://www.green-trust.org/2000/biofuel/greaserustlers.htm
Best, Dan.
--
Add one for email

Dan Bloomquist wrote:

I'm not referring to the concept of grease rustling, I'm referring to the supposed ills of running hot grease. Go back and read his post. All kinds of inaccurate info on the affects of veggie oil in a diesel.
--
Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust, http://www.green-trust.org
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:00:47 -0400, Steve Spence

The word is "effects", Steve, "Effects".
OK, Steve, as a retired engineer with much experience in the automotive field and who still occasionally consults to one of the Big Two, I have an open mind. Convince me that you've objectively addressed the potential problems I wrote about.
Tell me about your lab analysis that proves that your veggie fuel contains no pumice, silica fines or silicone oil. Convince me that you were even aware of those issues before my article.
Show me the data from your extended durability testing on even one current production engine. It is normal for OEMs to run a fleet of diesel engines through 100,000 hour durability runs when changes in fuel are being evaluated. Things like lowering the sulfur level. Show me the tribology data comparing your oil to the API and SAE standards for diesel fuel. Ford, for example, has over 250 dyno cells under one roof in Dearborn just to run these kinds of tests. What do you have?
Don't have any of that? Then on what basis do you claim that the concerns that I raise are wrong? I can certainly tell you what some of the guys who design the engines and injectors and who DO have the data say when I've asked. "Not in my damned truck!". Yeah, I know, bought and paid for by the auto-oil axis, right?
While you're at it, tell me about your liability insurance that will make your customers whole in the event your fuel causes premature wear or other damage.
Don't have any of that? No surprise there either.
John
--
John De Armond
Neon John <www.johngsbbq.com> wrote:

It's not a controlled lab test, but one encouraging reality is that the Bruderhof in New York have been running 10 unmodified Jettas on filtered French fry oil from fast food places for a few years. No problems so far, altho they change the fuel filters 4X/year, more often than usual, because of particulate matter.

These are oldish cars, so maybe that's different. They also "converted" an old Mercedes. Each car has a 5 gal veg tank in the trunk with a heat exchange coil from the radiator. In winter, they start on diesel in the original tank, switch to veg after a few minutes, then switch back to diesel before shutting down. In summer, they don't use diesel at all.
Nick
Neon John wrote:

I have over 150k miles on vw diesel. Some of the folks I work with have 300k and more. I filter to 5 microns (talcum powder is 10 micron, sand is 210) before burning the veggie oil. I check the injectors every 15k miles. I've been running veggie oil for close to 10 years. I've been wrenching on diesels for over 20 years. I have a bit more experience than you do on this subject. veggie oil and biodiesel are clean burning, environmentally friendly renewable fuels. But there seems to be a lot of folks out there who have no experience with them poopooing the idea. They forget Rudolph Diesel ran his diesel engine on peanut oil, and the petrol diesel hadn't been invented yet. You can be a very bright guy, but still be ignorant about topics outside your field. My field happens tyo be renewable fuels.
--
Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust, http://www.green-trust.org
Steve Spence wrote:

for now. if every diesel engine ran on that stuff, there wouldnt be enough used fry oil in the world to keep up with that kind of demand.
so enjoy!
SoCalMike wrote:

There is no "for now" regarding the statement Steve made.
Even if there isn't enough to go around (your argument) for everyone, this doesn't change the fact that whatever amount there is remains clean burning, environmentally friendly and renewable.
One might even come to believe that if there was a demand for veggie oil and biodiesel, that someone might actually find a way to supply that demand.
Anthony

soooo....for someone considering trading vehicles, does trading two gasoline vehicles (pickup and passenger van) to go to diesel (?still) make sense?
Linda H.
SoCalMike wrote:

I can only hope that the casual reader gets it.
They won't. There isn't enough. 'They' only see it from there own little world of reality.
six billion people demand.
There Ain't' no more....
What is so hard to understand here??????

Do you have kids?
Best, Dan.
--
Add one for email