Home Heating Options for Rural Midwest Residents?

Page 3 of 8

Hell with all that. Can you ship a rack of ribs to CA?

Sure. Of course the FEDEX charges will be more than the ribs..... Did you know that dry ice is now "hazmat" for shipping purposes?
John
--
John De Armond
Neon John wrote:

No doubt because only a terrorist would want to ship something in dry ice...
By the way, the people at airribs.com use gel packs and two-day shipping, so unless they're screwing it up badly[1], apparently it's possible to do it without dry ice.
- Logan
[1] The restaurant behind that, The County Line, is local to where I live. Their barbecue isn't exactly my favorite, although it's not bad, but they do seem pretty professional and seems to do a good job with stuff generally.
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 05:19:33 GMT, Logan Shaw

I got pretty seriously interested in mailorder/internet BBQ sales a few years ago. I packaged up some meat with little thermal data loggers (Onset Hobo) in the middle and sent it to friends around the country using various refrigeration methods. I got them to send the dataloggers back to me. I didn't like the data I collected. I could make it with 2nd day air in the winter but not in the summer, at least not with the margin I wanted to see to accommodate a package sitting in a receiving department or on someone's porch half a day.
The one thing I didn't test which is on the agenda is a combination of brine ice packs and foamed-in-place insulation. I have the equipment to make the ice packs so that's not a problem. I need to a) gain access to FIP equipment and b) a round tuit. A) is now not a problem but b) is....
I recently got some literature from 3M about a new time-at-temperature disposable tattletail that is designed to degrade and tattle at about the same rate as food does. That might be the margin of safety I need if it works. I could label the box for the customer to toss the product and get credit if the tattletail has fired when he opens it.
Maybe I'm a little paranoid but knock on wood, in 10 years I've yet to make anyone sick. I like it that way.
John
--
John De Armond
Neon John wrote:

Do that and the same people who buy tools at big box stores and take them back after doing their project will also be eating free BBQ...

Sure, there are always some scumbags to deal with but in the 10 years I've been in business, I have to say that they've been very few and far between. That same type of person also goes to restaurants and tries to get free food by complaining after the meal is finished. I've had only a little of that. I bend over backwards to please but if the person has finished the meal, cleaned his (usually a man) plate and then complains, unless he's a regular, he has to go away unfulfilled.
On a relates subject, I get fewer than 5 bad checks a year. The people who DO write me bad checks know they're doing so and usually have warrants out all over town. With no more bad checks than that, I don't ask for ID or otherwise hassle my customers. If I get one, I send out a postcard as notice and then take out a warrant to give 'em a little surprise the next time they're stopped for speeding :-) Otherwise I don't worry about it.
I have a theory that this kind of problem hinges on how you treat customers. I treat mine like family. I think that goes a long way toward avoiding all sorts of problems.
John
--
John De Armond

Awesome! If you ever figure out how to ship BBQ to western Canada, let me know! And when I get to Cleveland, I'll be sure to come to dinner.
Do you sell t-shirts? My fave is from "Charlie & Jake's" in Melbourne Florida. Across the back is their phone number...
777-PORK
;-)
--
Go read this. Now.
<http://www.ejectejecteject.com/archives/000129.html

I'm workin' on it.

yeah, I have two different ones but I'm out right now. Send me email and I'll put you on the list. One has Chitlin', the "Eat Me" pig on it. The logo pig on my web site. The other one has a female pig, Chitlinetta, with big hooters and a short skirt saying "Eat Me, you Fool!". Kind of a take on Mae West :-) Here's the graphic:
http://www.johngsbbq.com/images/Chitlinetta.gif
This one sells out in days after each run! :-)
When you come down you can also join my Frequent Porker Club. Get porked enough to fill the card and get a free meal :-) I love to watch the women contemplate getting porked 12 times at John G's.....
yeah, we have fun around here...
John
--
John De Armond

ROFLMAO!
I'm looking for an excuse to come to Cleveland!
I don't think I can wear the chitlinetta T, though. Maybe the missus could...
--
Life. Nature\'s way of keeping meat fresh. -- Dr. Who

What did you use for a shipping container? Obviously, the thicker the better. FIP is not the best isnulating material. I'd use a moded foam box. The seafood industry and meat industry aas well as phareceuticals use them all the time.

Obviously I gave the commercially available shipping containers a try first. Fine for overnight. Not fine for 2+ day delivery. Other things I've tested include thick packaging in styro peanuts (one of the best), multiple layers of rigid styro foam (decent), shredded newspaper (fair), even fiberglass batting (fair).
FIP isn't all the same. FIP made specifically for casting insulation in place is available with disposable metering units. I used one of those kits when I built my walk-in freezer. My freezer performs better than the industry standard 4" thick foam panels on a watts consumed per sq ft of external surface area so I think this has promise.
I did do a test with the Great Foam stuff that you can buy at the Hardware store. I heat sealed about 2 lbs of water in a poly bag and the Hobo in another, froze both to -20F and foamed them in place inside a 24" cube cardboard container using Great Stuff. I didn't ship this one but instead left it in my catering truck for two days which should approximate 2nd day service. The numbers there looked good but of course, buying the stuff at retail, the foam was far too expensive to use in production.
I have some other ideas to try, some of which might be patentable so I need to test and investigate the patent before I discuss them. One thing I want to try is packing the stuff, then letting it cold soak in my -20F walk-in for a day to thoroughly chill the bulk of the insulation.
This thread is spurring my interest again. There may be John G's bbq on the web yet :-)
John
--
John De Armond

"Commercially available" does not describe anything. Was it 1/2" wall? 1" wall? 2" wall. Ever hear a complaint from the Omaha Steak customers? They use some of the best designs.

There are dozens of companies that specialize in materials for shipping frozen or refrigerated products. Maybe you do have a better idea

They can. http://www.ribs.com /
Neon John wrote:

I'm not stealing from anyone. I have contracts setup with local restaurants. They were paying to have the local trash company landfill the stuff. Now they put it back in the 4.3 gallon jugs for me to pickup.
--
Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust, http://www.green-trust.org

No freaking way are they putting it in the plastic jugs!! Hahahahahaha A favorite pastime at the chicken shack is tossing the VERY HOT waste oil on an unsuspecting rat in the dumpster OR the empty 55 gallon metal drums outback where you probably 'obtain' it from.
No minimum wage kid is going to put burning hot oil in any plastic bottle ever.They certainly won't be paid to wait four hours or so for it to cool off at the end of the night.
Neon John made some very good points about the bad things that are in the oil. I never considered those. I'm glad I don't have a disel.
Smells nice when burned in a car though, and could create a lunch rush if you drove up and down the street with it. Hahahaha
snipped-for-privacy@kfc.net wrote:

its not possible to change the oil first thing in the morning, when its cool?
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:47:54 -0700, in misc.consumers.frugal-living SoCalMike

When it is solid?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It's not solid. It's liquid at room temperature.
--
Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust, http://www.green-trust.org
Steve Spence wrote:

depends on the oil. beef tallow and shortening will be solid, and wouldnt make as good a biofuel as something more liquid.
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:47:54 -0700, SoCalMike

Not with chicken to fry!!
Typically it is done at night when you either filter it or change it. Part of closing ya know.