Home heat w/out electric use

Page 2 of 2
It's made the same smell for 6 years, since it was new. After it's been on for some time, the room smells gassy. You don't notice it if you stay in the room when the fireplace starts. However once you leave the room and then come back it is noticable.
The previous place I lived at ran off of propane, but it was a very large tank that powered hundreds of residences and was metered. How would I go about getting a small tank refilled? Just call the gas company?

Your local propane supplier will come and fill it from a truck mounted tank. Mine comes once every 14 to 16 months and fills it.
Do the pellet stoves that you are looking at operate w/out electricity? My pellet stove knowledge is not current; the last time I knew about it, pellet stoves require electricity to feed the pellets into the burn chamber, as also to permit the operation of the blower. Ashoke - heating.products.bz
snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote:

backup. No such luck on the blower, but a blower is a nice-to-have, not a got-to-have.
You've gotten some good ideas.
Battery and inverter: Get a big inverter, sometimes the starting current for the fan is larger than the inverter. I found this out with my last furnace. Never really needed it, but I did try my furnace on the inverter, and the inverter went off, "low battery". Mighta worked with larger 12 volt cables.
Generator: My favorite, to run the furnace. Problem is the gas engine is noisy, and won't be polite to run after dark or when kids are supposed to be sleeping. Chain it down, generators disappear during power cuts.
Vented heater: Well, same problem with your gas fireplace. Only heats one room.
Infared heater: They make gadgets that screw onto a propane bottle. Either a gas grill bottle, or a campstove size bottle. Lot better than nothing. And if the NG is off, too, you have some heat that doesn't depend on the gas company. I've used infared heaters, they do work.
Portable kerosene heater: These do work. Needs a new wick every year, or every other year.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.