Home gadgets that cause interference with other domestic gear. Bah ....

Page 2 of 2

snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

I am an active ham with full previledges, only thing causing interference with Wi Fi in my house is microwave oven in the kitchen. Dimmers, GDO, wireless thermostat, cell phone cordless phone, various HAM rx/tx are all fine. No problem.

In an office once there was a Motorola walk-talkie radio and charger that sat right next to an old x86 computer. Seems that was killing the hard drive of the PC?? Never really found out for certain, though.
Oren wrote:

Once I had to work on a problem caused by air port radar. Nearby large commercial computer system installation was going crazy at certain interval that was when the rotating radar antenna was pointed at the site.

I had a 92' Plymouth mini-van and read reports of that years crop of Chrysler engines has a bad habit of stalling if they drove close to some airports at the time the radar beam was pointed in their direction. Apparently the radar beam would shut down the electronic ignition.
We are currently experiencing a problem with a Sony cordless phone (Sony no longer makes cordless phones). This phone will shut down our in-house WIFI network whenever one of the phones is in use. We are looking for a suitable replacement that does not confect with our Nortel wired phones the way a Siemens cordless phone did. We returned it.
EXT wrote:

Likewise when they first used ABS on cars. The system used to go crazy if they drive it thru a long steel bridge.
In typed:

UL, CSA and all the rest are ONLY concerned with safety, not interference. So they have nothing to do with anything.
The FCC does however, and if the thermostat met FCC Part 15 or the Canadian or EU equivalent, then its radiation is tested and rated; right on the product. No notice of Part 15, it's an illegal product for NA sales. In addition to that, if you do have interference issues and passed Part 15, not only does the device's paperwork tell you how to control it, but gives you contact information in the event you have trouble with radiation through the air, power wires or peripheral connections. So I'd say RTFM is still something you have on your to-do list, except rather than try to slightly move the item etc., you gave it away. So often we create our own liver-quivers because emotion takes over instead of logical common sense.
HTH,
Twayne
Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.

Started having trouble with the home WiFi system. Worked on it for a month until I found my wife and place a 2.4Ghz cordless phone base near the wireless router. I hadnt seen it because it was carefully hidden behind some books.
Jimmie
On 02/15/10 10:32 pm, JIMMIE wrote:

If you want to use WiFi (2.4GHz), consider a DECT 6.0 phone system (1.9GHz).
Perce