Home gadgets that cause interference with other domestic gear. Bah ....

Page 1 of 2

For example a family member installed a legally sold 'electronic thermostat' to better control the heat in their bedroom. It did a good job of that. But ...........
Unfortunately it emitted RFI (Radio frequency interference) that interfered with the bedside radio in another room; even when it was tuned to a local radio station!
We have since removed it and relegated that thermostat to another person's garage where it does not (so far) cause interference! But one does wish the regulatory authorities such at he FCC in the USA and the Canadian Dept. of Transport etc. would not permit the sale of these interfering devices which include certain light dimmers etc.
It appears that just because something is UL (Underwriters Labs.) or CSA (Can. Standards Assoc.) approved and is therefore 'safe' it may not be free from causing interference! Also some incompatibilities occur. Yesterday visited the lamp/light fixture show room of an elecrical supplier and during discussion the topic of NOT using dimmers with CFLs came up. Apparently some of their customers are still not aware of that!

You have to use a cfl that is specifically rated for use on a dimmer.

. Exactly; and the show room staff mentioned that those dimmable CFLs are very expensive!
LEDs 'may' be the way to go. But since we are electrically heated and most months of the year, here, require some warmth, especially at night, so incandescent bulbs work fine for the present anyway.
In fact we have a bathroom, with six 40 watt incandescents (240 watts) above the vanity that are only on occasionally (when room is occupied) and the electric baseboard heater only comes on in coldest weather. It appears that we replace a only a couple of 25 cents incandescent bulbs in that bathroom per year.
In

And; those bulbs rated for use with a dimmer also require a dimmer that can manage flourescants. Basically, flourescents have two states: Off and On. Nothing in between that reults in usable lighting.
Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.

I've returned a lot of those; I can't tell the difference between them and a regular CFL (e.g. none of them really work as advertised.)
nate

I've returned a lot of those; I can't tell the difference between them and a regular CFL (e.g. none of them really work as advertised.)
nate
I bought two dimmer friendly CFL lights from H.D. They work as advertised. They have larger bases from the regular Cfls.
Your vibrator will cause problems with your computer.
terry wrote:

The FCC DOES regulate such devices. All electronic devices are required, by law, to not interfere with electronic communication. The fault, however, may lie with your bedside radio in that it does not conform to universally accepted filtering circuitry. If the thermostat was made by, say, Honeywell and the radio was made by, say, Hung-Lo industries, I'd say junk the radio.

It is more likely the radio is ok and the Thermostat is generating the interference. Probably any radio in the same location would pick up what is being generated by the thermostat. There should not be anything in the thermostat to generate a signal strong enough to cause problems with any receiver.

Interference did not start until the thermostat was installed.
The interference was definitely being generated by the 'electronic' thermostat as it chopped the waveform and cut in and out on a regular basis. The second replacement thermostat does not cause interference. And yes another battery operated radio does also pick it up.
In regard to other matters of interference it can be deficiency in the gear itself (early TV sets were notoriously unable to reject some signals that today would be considered quite normal). Also can be a matter of being in such close proximity to a powerful transmitter (including a 1000 watt microwave oven!) that the signal just 'swamps' or 'blocks' by overloading input of the other device.
terry wrote: (snip)

Often, the interference is coming across the power line as much as through the air. At night, going to sleep, I like to listen to far-away radio stations on an itty-bitty multiband radio powered by a wall wart. (my version of cheap travel.) One of my neighbors on same transformer can has something that once in a while, puts out so much static, that I can't get squat on any station. Same problem on multiple wall warts and multiple radios ( I have several). I know it isn't my house, because I have tried turning everything I have off, and unplugging wall wart makes most of the static go away. The closer I hold the plug to the radio, the louder it gets. I've looked out the windows- it isn't anything obvious like a yard light. I think it is a bathroom/kitchen appliance of some sort, because it often starts up again at around 0600 or shortly before, and wakes me up.
-- aem sends...

I've got on of those EdenPure electric heaters with a remote control. When I am using the remote for my DVD player, it turns the heater on and off and even will switch it from High to variable.
David
Two more:
Cordless telephone interfering with Wi-Fi connection when in close proximity to computer. It will swamp the desired signal.
Cell phone to close to bluetooth mouse. It will also swamp the desired signal.

Many low powered devices operate on the same frequencies. They operate under what is often called Part 15 of the FCC rules. If you look at the fine print on them, you will see something like they must accept interference from other services, but can not cause problems.
That means all the Part 15 devices such as the cordless telephone and Wi-Fi can interfere with each other and that is ok. They just can not interfere with any licensed devices and must accept interference from them.
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:18:49 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

They don't have to be the same frequency to swamp the front end of a receiver.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Pretty much any cell phone and any computer that I've used - if my cell phone is about to ring, I'll hear a "sputtering" through my computer speakers. Even laptops with built in speakers.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Chuckle. People in my office always bitch when I key up my ancient Motorola ht1000 at my desk. Makes a nice loud hum in their speakers. Back when they still let me touch hardware, I was once tearing my hair out on a monitor service call- funny colors, wavy lines, etc. Replacement monitor did the same thing. I was about to swap out the CPU (integrated video on those early machines), when my 2 active brain cells kicked in, and I noticed the electric stapler tucked up against the monitor. Those are a first cousins to doorbell dinger- bigass coil and magnetic rod inside them. Moved it two feet away, and the problem vanished.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

A few homes ago my monitor was back to back with the microwave (with a wall in between). Every time the microwave operated it looked like I was degaussing the monitor. Sometimes I'd have to tell my daughter to turn off the microwave until I finished what I was doing.

You probably were. When the transformer was active it was generating a magnetic field just as a degausing coil would. I have never tried it,but a LCD type of display probably would not have been effected by the microwave.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

I didn't think of that. No magnetic fields to worry about! No purity to adjust!! No convergence!!! No dynamic convergence!!!!!!!!!!!