Home appliance cost in hours

Exactly. Or, if you can keep them running, how much does it *cost* to do so?
Washer/dryer had close to 20 years on them before SWMBO just decided she didn't like looking at them and wanted replacements. New washer lasted 16-18 months (in a household that does very few loads) before needing service (which, of course, would have been out-of-warranty).
Refrigerator is 20+ years old. SWMBO also tired of looking at it. OTOH, after seeing the prices of new, hearing about typical life expectancy AND the washing machine experience, decided ours doesn't look too bad after all! :>
[You can buy a CAR for the price of some of these new refrigerators!]
Freezer has been in the (hot) garage for more than 20 years. It was 20 years old when we moved in. Wanna bet we wouldn't see half that with a new unit? And, new units aren't as easy to defrost as this one (we can empty it, defrost it, and refill it in less than 15 minutes!)
Friend makes smoothies. He's on his third blender/juicer in probably 5 years. We juice 200+ pounds of oranges (granted, different technique) annually (325 pounds this year) with our antique "Acme Juicerator" (half expect to see Wile E Coyote doing an advert for them!) and have done so for 20+ seasons.

Impossible to make a truly accurate comparison. Last toaster I bought was a good quality model that cost $50+, but on the next shelf they had one for $8. In 1959 you could not find one equal to the $8 toaster made in China (as was the expensive one)
I do recall spending $169 for a B & W 19" TV 50 years ago when I was making about half that a week. Two weeks wages now would buy be a few 65" TVs today.

And paid 5% on passbook savings accounts. Try getting that today.
On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 4:47:11 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

And I for one don't necessarily want to keep the same TV or kitchen appliance for 50 years. Fifty years ago, a window AC cost a hundred bucks, which would be what, $500 to $1000 in today's dollars? Now you can buy one for $150. Nor sure how long one lasts versus the other, but modern ones are quiet, lighter weight, look much nicer, etc. Even if it lasts half as long, I'm happy with the value proposition.

How do you figure? 80x7.25[*] = $580. I've not seen any 65" T.V.s for $580. The nationwide mean salary is circa $50,000 which is $2000 for two weeks. That might be enough to buy a nice 4k 65" TV, with little left over for living expenses.
[*] Federal minimum wage.
On 3/10/2016 10:08 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Using the nationwide mean salary you are right. I was using my own wage difference from then to now. You can get a 65" for about $1100. No matter how you compare, you get a lot more TV today than you did 50 years ago, even 5 years ago.

We went around on this in October 2013. As some of kind of proxy for overall living standards, which is what AEI's Perry is implicitly inviting readers to do, it's misleading. Liars, damn liars, and economists.
On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 07:32:22 -0600, "Dean Hoffman"

Who has 11 appliances? I have 5. Stove, Refrig, Washer, Dryer, Microwave. That's it. (Unless a TV, Stereo, Radio, Toaster, Electric Frying pan, or Computer is considered an appliance... There are only 2 more appliances that I can think of, which I dont have. A Dishwasher and a Freezer. What else is there..... To make 11 of them???
On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 6:58:00 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Well, since an "appliance garage" is designed to house/hide small electrics and at least one definition of appliance reads "a device or piece of equipment designed to perform a specific task, typically a domestic one" the list can quite extensive.
Off the top of my head, I have at least 13:
Range Refrigerator Microwave Dishwasher Toaster Oven Crock Pot Stand Mixer Drip Coffee Pot Deep Fryer Blender Food Processor Juicer Coffee Grinder
On Friday, March 11, 2016 at 8:17:48 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Whoops, I forgot the freezer in the garage and the fridge in the basement.
I also left the washer and dryer off of my list.
On 03/10/2016 05:57 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

It depends of how do you define "appliance". Electric toothbrush? Toilet?
--
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate
because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can
On 3/11/2016 5:18 PM, Sam E wrote:

"He" obviously didn't read the article. That's the problem with trolls...
I suspect MOST people have a: - washing machine - dryer - refrigerator - stove - vacuum cleaner - color TV
Some may no longer have a toaster -- or, may have a toaster OVEN, instead. Or, a blender. I don't have a coffee maker cuz I drink tea (As Fr. Guido Sarducci would advertise: Mr Tea)
And, there may be some uncertainty over: - dishwasher - freezer

Well, I have 9 of the 11. I'd leave the TV off the list. That really isn't an appliance in my view. That would put the 1959 hours at 758 vs. the 2016 hours at 140. The 1959 worker had to work 5.4 times as many hours as the 2016 worker for about the same stuff. Others have mentioned how much more reliable the old stuff was. Not TVs. Tubes went out, the vertical and horizontal holds were sometimes finicky, and remote controls are better channel changers than kids. No microwave on the list. I thought they weren't invented until the 1960s but found out differently. An article here http://preview.alturl.com/zb2nq talks about a man named Tracy Spencer. He dropped out of school at 12 but became an expert on radar tubes. He had a candy bar melt in his pocket at work so decided to investigate.

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 20:06:29 -0600, "Dean Hoffman"

I dont consider a toaster, crock pot, elec frying pan, blender, elec can opener, and so on appliances. They're just kitchen gadgets.
I also dont consider tv, stereo, radio, or computer on that list, since they are entertainment. And definitely not the toilet...
In my opinion, appliances are large items that run on electricity or gas.
That would include
Stove Refrig Washer Dryer, Microwave Dishwasher Freezer And maybe Air Conditioner
Of course if we include the Air Cond, we may as well add a furnace to the list.
On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 7:10:07 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

You may not consider them to be appliances, but most people do, including kitchen designers. DAGS for "appliance garage" and look at the images of what they are designed to store.
Take a look at what Target considers to be appliances:
http://www.target.com/c/home-appliances/-/N-5xtuu
Home Depot has a webpage for Small Appliances
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Appliances-Small-Appliances/N-5yc1vZbv48
You are not wrong by calling them "gadgets", but being a gadget doesn't preclude them from also being appliances. This website considers "kitchen appliances" to be a 'related phrase' in their definition of gadget.
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/gadget

On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 7:49:12 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Appliance: 1.
A device or piece of equipment designed to perform a specific task, typically a domestic one.
It's very broad. I consider a TV, stereo, window AC, etc to be appliances. Which is why there are shopping categories that narrow it down, like "kitchen appliances".

I offered that exact definition to Paint yesterday. It's up to him to accept or not.
Retailers call them appliances, as do manufacturers:
From: https://www.cuisinart.com/products
"Cuisinart continues to deliver premium countertop appliances that are truly multifunctional..."
I remember when stores like Macy's had a section for Small Electrics. Maybe they still do. If you DAGS _small electrics_ 99%+ of the hits use the word "appliance".
As I said, Paint can choose to accept that those devices are considered appliances or not. I do.
On 03/12/2016 05:09 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

FWIW...
www.kitchenaid.com calls them counter-top appliances.
www.electroluxappliances.com calls them small appliances.
And Team Bezos (www.amazon.com) calls them appliances as well.
So I guess PaintedCowPie is wrong again. ;-)
On 3/9/2016 8:32 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

But today those appliances have a lifetime of 5 years and back in 1959 they might keep running for 20 to 30 years.