home a/c compressor

We have a 5 year old Rheem outisde. The air handler is in the attic. The air is blowing hot. Te compressor tries to turn on, but kicks off, repeatedly. On, off, on, off. So, I turned the system off and turned on some ceiling fans. Any ideas as to what might be causing this problem?
On 12 Jun 2006 09:03:33 -0700, "havin snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

Something is broken maybe?
havin snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

Whaddya mean "tries to turn on"? Hums but doesn't start turning? Turns for a while and shuts off?
Most likely cause is a bad start capacitor, an easy repair. But you haven't diagnosed this.
Richard J Kinch wrote:

As I am currently suffering a similar fate (compressor hums, does not start), what diagnostic procedure would you suggest, before I call the repairman?
--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
A technician came to check out my system. Said I was 2 pounds low on Freon. A/C is working just fine now. BTW, he said it was the condenser (not the compressor) that was turning on (for 8-10 seconds) and then shutting down. If the problem happens again, I'll spend the extra bucks to get the leak diagnosed, but for now, I'm hoping it's a ssslllooooowwww leak.
Grandpa wrote:

havin snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

You're confused. The compressor is the part of the condenser you refer to as turning on and shutting down.

Probably something that needs to be diagnosed by an A/C technician. Preferably, a qualified one. This sort of thing is impossible to troubleshoot over the Internet.