Hiring Day Laborers

Page 2 of 2
Look for a company that screens such workers and has them insured. In New Orleans it's Labor Ready and Labor Solutions, so you might try looking under Labor. It costs more, but might be worth it for your peace of mind.
Memo to grammar-challenged troll: there are some members of a different ethnic group that worked a similar scam with staged car accidents. The police investigated and the "accidents" diminished. zemedelec
At the risk of apearing to bait this argument, what happens when I hire a neighbor boy to mow my lawn? Am I at as much potential risk if he should hurt himself while working for me on my property?
- Magnusfarce

In today's society, lawyers are falling over each other to sue any body they can.....and the public is willing to share the wealth. Look at the woman who sued McDonalds for her stupidity in spilling coffee on herself. Use common sense... don't leave rubish in the yard where the little tike is mowing that might jump up and bite him..... and live your life....anyone can sue you for practically anything... don't spend your life worrying about it and give the kid a break and some spending money....
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:12:04 GMT, "Magnusfarce"

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:21:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (AgaPSDIVER) wrote:

Use some common sense yourself - go check that story out and come back and apologize to us for being taken in by that distorted tale!
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:12:04 GMT, Magnusfarce wrote:

via lawsuits I would say yes you are at risk. Of course the odds of even finding a teenager that is willing to cut grass today are nil.
Lou

The neighbor's boy isn't thinking: "Hmmm, I could move out of that cold damp garage I'm renting for 1500 a month, into a nice place, AND bring the 40-50 other relatives I left on the other side of the border to come live with me, for a new life in Ah Mir eek ah!"
On 18 Dec 2003 19:37:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (HA HA Budys Here) wrote:

But he is thinking that the settlement from the suit could get him that car he wants and the things that go with it or hie parents could be thinking of the vacation they could have in the country the other guy came from!
Magnusfarce writes:

Probably more.
Push lawnmowers are hazardous machinery that minors should not operate. In many jurisdictions it is unlawful to hire a minor to do such hazardous work, and if you wind up with an accident you will be in a huge amount of trouble. This is similar to, say, a grocery store unlawfully using minor employees to run a meat saw.
I know several (sensible adult) people who have been severely injured by lawnmowers. These machines are inherent dangerous, and not something for a foolish child to be operating. I don't like the personal-injury lawsuit abuse, but minors should not be allowed to choose to do something that may hobble them for life, simply to earn a few bucks. The worker's comp to cover adults running lawnmowers is expensive, and somehow you think you can just ignore that when it comes to hiring a clueless kid?
It's also a good reason to treat yourself to that ride-on mower.
I remember a story I heard some time ago, where some low budget roofing company was working on some guys house and asked to borrow an additional ladder from the homeowner. Of course the migrant alien fell off the homeowners ladder, which the homeowner ended up being responsible for... blah...blah...blah.... homeowner sued...
Xmfard
Magnusfarce wrote: +AD4- At the risk of apearing to bait this argument, what happens when I hire a +AD4- neighbor boy to mow my lawn? Am I at as much potential risk if he should +AD4- hurt himself while working for me on my property?
Without knowing what state you live in, no one in this group will be able to answer your questions. Best thing is to talk to your insurance agent. He will be able to tell you immediately.
In Montana, if someone works on your property without worker's comp, +AF8-you+AF8- provide it. I.e., if he becomes disabled, you have to pay his salary for the rest of his life. (I know of a case.) Most state laws are not that draconian.
For a big job or an important job, you're going to want a bonded pro who has workman's comp. Ask to see his insurance papers. If he just got 'em, call his agent and ask to be notified if he cancels.
For the help around the farm type of stuff, when you want to hire some day laborers (whom you know and aren't worried about them coming in to ransack your castle -- not that big a problem in a right-to-carry state like Montana, where mostly everyone knows everyone anyway) ask your agent. He can:
(1) Give you insurance just for that one job, or
(2) Give you regular insurance against that type of lawsuit, which your normal homeowner's policy doesn't carry.
It isn't expensive, and it's well worth the peace of mind.
--Ralph Sumner Chiba City, Japan
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:12:04 GMT, "Magnusfarce"

Why would you think that you would be any less at risk for being sued for injuries that they suffered while working for you whether the worker was a neighbor, their child or a stranger? Is there an exemption that applies to children or neighbors?