Hint for power tool acquisition

From the "Helpful Hints" section of a DIY lawn chair plan:

--- begin quote

Suggestion- If you're like most of us, the problem is that your spouse will object loudly to you buying the tools.

The solution I recommend for this problem is to first purchase the lumber and screws for the chair. Arrange the lumber on saw horses and then ask the spouse to hold the lumber while you saw and rip out the pieces with a handsaw. Explain that the help is necessary, since the handsaw requires a helper to hold the wood. When the spouse sees you struggling and suffering with the handsaw, explain how a $50 circular saw would let you finish in

1/10 the time, not require a helper, and give better results.

--- end quote

Reply to
HeyBub

I must be lucky to have a wife who doesn't care what tools I buy.

Then again, I suppose anyone who lived with me long enough would see what a cheap guy I am, and realize I'd never squander money on unnecessary stuff. ;)

Reply to
mike

That's what I was going to say.

Reply to
Frank

Me too! My wife says I'm 'Tighter than a frog's ass-- and they're waterproof"

Truth is when I really want a tool that my scotch heritage [just a splash-- but frugal as all get out] won't let me splurge on, I 'discuss' it with her, and she either talks me into it- or buys it herself.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

HeyBub wrote the following:

My wife would not object. As a matter of fact, all tools that I buy somehow eventually become hers, and I have to ask her to borrow 'MY' tools.

Reply to
willshak

Some know better. ;-)

It is impossible to squander money on tools.

Reply to
keith

You're lucky. Mine become my sons. I could have clobbered him when he gave away my old lawn mower after he borrowed it and it stopped working.

Reply to
Frank

She sounds; how does the good book put it, in one of its many versions ............ "A pearl beyond price"?

Not only an understanding woman but a competent one!

Lucky indeed; can she cook too? {:-)

Terry

Reply to
terry

Hell, I've been using the same circular saw for about 20 years now, and bought it used in the first place!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Man- I could never have just one circular saw. I have 3. A B&D that was a Christmas present in 1971, a left-handed Bosch that was a gift in 1985 or so, and a B&D that I grabbed out of the trash 10 yrs ago & had to replace the cord.

It was the 12" chop saw SWMBO had to 'talk me into'. Got a good deal on a recon from CPO-- but it still pained me to spend the money. . . until the first time I used it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I'm on my third and fourth. The Crapsman went into the trash. I hung onto the Ryobi I got fifteenish years ago in case I need to cut cement blocks, or such. A couple of years ago I bought a Dewalt rear swivel circular saw and one of their 18V 6-1/2" cordless saws. Both are sweet tools.

I bought a HF SCMS for under $100 when I needed to do some framing and siding work. Unfortunately, I still have it. It'll soon be replaced, likely with a

10" Bosch SCMS.
Reply to
krw