High efficiency furnace -

N > I recently had High Efficiency furnace installed (Carrier Infinity) and N > there were 2 PVC pipes put outside my house - one is for taking air into N > furnace and another one for air out of furnace. When furnace is working, my N > second pipe is spraying water out of it - not a lot, but still hand feels N > wet if you hold up to it. It seems kind of strange. Is that a good furnace N > installation? Should it be like that? If yes, then would it not freeze in N > the winter?

It's a condensing unit and is normal. Last winter the steam from the pipe looked as if there was smoke from a fire between our house and the neighbour's (and I was on the second floor)! It doesn't freeze, in fact I don't recall icicles on the pipe.

  • There is no limit to how bad things can get.
Reply to
barry martin

The spray that comes out of the second PVC pipe is water vapor. The exhaust temperature of your high efficiency furnace is lower than a "standard efficiency" model. The mositure in the exhaust gas is condensing out providing and is one of the reasons for the higher efficiency. I live near Chicago and during real cold times, I get a few icicles that form on my exhaust, not nearly enough to block air flow

Reply to
mike60510

One of the products of combustion of hydrocarbon fuels is water vapor.

Reply to
Snidely