Help Toilet is acting very weird.

Okay some time ago the toilet started filling up very very slowly. There isn't any water in the ball everything is floating fine. Oddly if i turn the water supply off, and then back on again it fill up with full power. If i flush it after that it fills up very slowly.
Any Ideas?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Could be a loose washer in the shutoff valve or a bad washer in the fill valve. Some fill valves may not have serviceable parts and can be replace for about 6-10$. The washer in the shut-off valve should cost about a nickel (Although you will probably pay a couple of bucks for an assortment at the borg). I would start with checking the washer in the shut-ff valve.
To replace the washer in the shut-off valve - Shut off main water supply. Loosen the cap nut (Around the valve stem). Then unscrew the valve stem from the valve body. (Lefty loosey) At the end of the stem will be a washer held in place with a screw. My suspicion is the screw is missing, deteriorated or broken. A new screw may solve the problem, while you are at it replace the washer. If the screw is in tact see if it just needs tightening. If the head is missing from the screw it may be a bugger to get out. Depending on your skills, if the screw is broken off flush, it may be better to replace the valve or call a plumber.
Anyway - This is an easy thing to check and fix. If it doesn't solve the problem then more info is needed about the type of fill valve you have to suggest a repair.
Post back if you are successful or need more info.
-b
Thanks i'll have to look into it i suppose. It's just been annoying lately
On 12 May 2006 08:40:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'm guessing if you have a 'ball' float, you have an older mechanism. Might want to look at evident corrosion, or maybe find a way to 'flush' the fill valve.
Other than that, I would change the mechanism if it was mine.
later,
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info
I'd suggest to replace the fill valve in the tank. They are about $5.79 at Home Cheepo, and mine took about half hour to replace. Worth every penny, and every minute of the time it took.
Not worth trying to dissemble and repair a flush valve. Replace.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.