help me help my mower!!

Thanks in advance for any replies. I have a Bolens mower with a Briggs and Stratton 4.5 hp engine. And, you guessed it, it won't start. I have
a giant cottonwood tree in my backyard, which, at this time of year, sheds all its cotton, leading the the clogging of my mower. After taking the time to clean it out, it will not start at all. The air filter is clean, the spark plug is new and is getting gas (after priming, it is wet and smells like gas)......And the mower has a tank of clean, fresh gasoline. Any suggestions? If I'm going to use starting
fluid, do I spray it straight into the carb or into the cylinder? Thanks....
jh
Ah, but DO you have a spark? Pull the spark plug wire off, put it about 1/4" from the block, and give the sucker a spin. You should see the spark jump to the block. DON'T hold on to the wire, as it is very easy to give yourself a nasty shock!
professorpaul wrote:

I tried it, bt am seeing no spark. Please tell me this is an easy fix.
If no spark its likely the coil or ignition module, its not a quick fix, Confirm no sparkk, remove spark plug, put your finger in the spark plug cap, be sure to touch the electrde , hold the block while some pulls the cord, report back on what happens.

You are mean!
Bob
m Ransley wrote:

engines......

the filter and get it to work. When you cleaned the underneath of the mower, did you tilt the mower deck up so the carburetor was on the bottom or top. If on the bottom, crankcase oil can run down into the intake manifold and carburetor and cause some problems in starting.
Tom G
Tom G wrote:

I tipped it back to about a 15 degree angle.........I'm about to use Liquid Wrench in place of carb cleaner. Is that a safe idea? This same thing happened last year when the cottonwood tree bloomed, and after 3 weeks it started right up.......

Just squirt a little gas into the carb. For me, it works as well as starter fluid.
If it fires at all, your spark is probably OK.
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Wrote:

Into the carb.
--
mistermaniac

On 14 Jun 2006 07:09:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Into the air cleaner or the air cleaner inlet. No need to take anything apart.
I wouldn't use liquid wrench. It's only advantage is that it is in an aerosol can. I don't know that it would do harm, but it has all kinds of ingredients that aren't in gasoline. A can of starter fluid is only a dollar or two.