Help me get my oils straight

Hi,
Could someone provide a brief outline (or point out a resource on the web) of the different types of oils and their uses.
I'm confused by the differences (and interchangeability) of different oils: oil that goes in your car, oil that goes into your table saw motor, oil that you rub on the table saw surface to preserve it, 2-cycle oil, compressor oil, etc.
In particular, what's the best kind of oil to rub on the table saw surface?
Thanks in advance,
Aaron
[...]

None.
Use TopCote, BoeShield, or a NON-silicone paste wax such as Johnson's. Note that if you're in a particularly humid environment, paste wax is not sufficient to prevent rust.
Doug Miller wrote:

I am in a pretty humid environment (PA). Should I use oil and paste on top?

Just go with the Boeshield T-9. http://www.boeshield.com/why/why_t9.php

I'm in a pretty humid environment, too (central Indiana). But my shop is in the basement, where I run dehumidifiers year-round. Paste wax is quite enough to keep my tools from rusting. No way would that be sufficient if my shop was in the garage instead. It all depends on what the conditions are _at the saw_. If it's in a climate-controlled environment, wax will do the job. If not, you need something better.

What part of "none" did you misunderstand? DON'T PUT OIL ON YOUR TABLE SAW. If wax won't do the job, use one of the other two products I mentioned.
Doug Miller wrote:

Thanks.
Just curious. Does one need to worry about the underbelly of the saw rusting?
Thanks again.

Well, body oil of course silly!

Good question!
I've done a lot of factory repair and maintenance in my life and have done it right. This is for products people send into a factory repair facility. We use "factory service manuals" and repair things properly per factory specifications.
With that said, some mechanical products might call for 10 different types of grease, oil, or lubricants. They ARE all quite different! And the specifications for these lubricants would be outlined in factory service manuals which anyone can purchase from the manufacturer or distributor of a product (ask). But many people have never seen one of these books.
(Also some auto parts stores will say certain lubricants will work for anything! If that is true, then why does the vehicle factory service manual call for a specific lubricant for a specific location? Go by the service manual for best results.)
Then here is a good source of information... http://www.bobistheoilguy.com
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Aaron Fude wrote:

Use lamb fat on your saw blade and tools. Car oil is motor oil. 2 cycle oil is marked as such. Compressor oil can be motor oil or marked compressor oil. Hydraulic oil is marked as such. Table saw motor? Gas or electric? Motor oil, marvel mystery oil or 3 in 1 oil for electric. Motor oil for gas unless it's 2 cycle. Then 2 cycle oil in the gas if it don't have a separate 2 cycle oil reservoir.
.