HELP! How catch dust in vaccuum when drilling wall?

I want to catch the brick & plaster dust when I drill a hole in the wall at home.

I usually use my ordinary vaccuum cleaner (held by someone else) to catch the dust as I drill. It works really well. And it extracts and remaining debris in the drill hole which might prevent a wall plug going in.

However the brick & plaster dust block up the vaccuum cleaner's bag. Yes, it's one of the older vaccuum cleaners with a bag.

How can I fix up something which will trap the dust before it gets to the bag?

I was thinking of somehow using some filter material: perhaps a bit of densely woven fabric, or perhaps a square cut fro m an old vaccuum cleaner bag. Any other ideas of what material to use?

How would this best be secured? Do you think the best arrangement is to simply trap a piece of this filter material between the nozzle attachment and the vaccuum cleaner pipe?

Maybe there is something economical I can buy here in the UK to attach to the vaccuum cleaner to do this job. This Drill Mate product looks a bit elaborate for infrequent home use and I can't think it would trap enough of the dust. Does anyone have any experiences with it?

Any other ideas onhow to trap the masonry dust?

Maybe it is possible to somehow wet the brick with water to control the dust? Or something else? Use a handheld water mister spray on the drill bit while drilling?

David

-----------

PS: In the past I used a "ceiling cup" on the drill bit but it was not as effective as I would have liked.

I've also seen little plastic bag gadgets which you stick to the wall and drill into to catch the dust but these are too expensive.

Reply to
David Peters

I usually hold get the better half to hold a dustpan against the wall catches most of the bits or

Mr Fixit

I don't know if you can find this there, but it's pretty simple so you could probably make one.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I saw a product at Lowes that was a round disc made of plastic baggy material with a slightly adhesive back. You mark where the hole goes, then drill through the plastic, and all the dust collects on the inside of the plastic thing.

When you're done you just remove the drill, peel the disc off the wall and toss it.

Unfortunately I can't remember what it's called. You might be able to find it if you ask someone in the power tools secton about it.

Reply to
nhurst

The method that works for me is;- take an envelope and push - inwards- the two bottom corners so it bulges to a 'pocket'; use a piece of masking tape (low tack type is best) to affix the envelope just below the mark for the hole (and sufficeintly far down so the Bit doesn't catch the tape) - then drill to your heart's content. The envelope will catch 99.9(recurring)% of plaster and brick dust. Work the bit backwards and forwards to clear dust from the hole. With practise one can use the masking tape cum envelope for several holes. Discard - straight into the bin. The technique was demonstrated on one of the D-I-Y TV programmes.

Catch the debris _before_ it gets into the vacumn cleaner - envelopes are cheap!

Use the envelope

You're thinking too much :)

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

The message from David Peters contains these words:

I just hold the dustpan pressed against the wall.

Reply to
Guy King

A small shop vacuum works. But easiest of all is just putting down some newspaper on the floor below where you are drilling the hole.

Reply to
trader4

When the AC guy put in spacepack and drilled 4" holes he had a rubber ball cut in half on the chuck or bit, it worked.

Reply to
m Ransley

Could probably adapt a large Post-It note - comes with the low tack adhesive!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Envelope. With a bit of masking tape attached. Works better if you poke the corners inside out first, so as to make it bulge outwards.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

A colostomy bag?

Reply to
Rob Morley

I have taken a look, but can you narrow it down a bit please?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I just let it drop too the floor and hoover it up after jobs finished. Never heard so much crap in me life. Tsk!

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It's a water pre filter for a shop vac. Intended for drywall dust which also clogs vacuums pretty readily. You should be able to make one from a

5gal bucket and a few fittings if you can't find the commercial one. Basically you have the intake come in under the water level and the exhaust to the vacuum just at the top of the bucket.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I've also used trimmed down paper cups, and 2 liter coke bottles.. especially when drilling into ceilings..

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

Buy a decent vacuum cleaner. Never mind this 'bagless' cobblers, buy a Henry and you could drill holes all day without blocking the filter or bag.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , David Peters writes

Double sided sticky tape and an envelope

Reply to
raden

Isn't this why they invented shop vacs?

mm

Managed to stain a new beige carpet with brick dust recently, when I didn't haven envelope handy. Didn't intend to drop it on the carpet, it bypassed the dustsheet. However, it left an obvious orangey tinge at the edge of the carpet, even after Henry had done his best. Dust wasn't ground in or anything.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Myself I use either an envelope (or a bit of paper folded up into one) and some insulating tape...

However, you may prefer:

If you were doing loads of it then you could perhaps build yourself a small prefilter cyclone.

Reply to
John Rumm