Help - Front Steps Peeling

Hi. I'm not sure what kind of stone my front steps are made of, but for the last three years thin layers have been peeling off of them every winter - take a look at the link below. Water has been getting in there somehow and expanding. Has anyone ever seen this and know how to prevent it? Can I seal them somehow without making them look shiny?

Thanks

pls respond to the board, not my email

Reply to
Yank_fan_2965

I mght be concrete that was resurfaced poorly, remove everything and see how it looks.

Reply to
m Ransley

It looks like solid stone of some kind, not concrete. It flakes off in thin layers like slate or something.

Reply to
Yank_fan_2965