Help for Install of Programmable Thermostat

I've just bought a new house and it has a Carrier Weathermaker 8000 2 speed gas furnace that's currently controlled by a manual White-Rodgers thermostat (1E50W-303).
When I had the furance serviced, the tech told me that it is a single stage thermostat and I should consider replacing it since I've got a multistage furance.
I bought a White-Rodgers 1F81-261 multi-stage programmable thermostat and had a question on the installation.
On the current manual thermostat, there is a green, red and white wire connected. On the new thermostat, there is a terminal for a 2nd white wire to activate stage 2. Do I need to just jumper W1 to W2 in order to activate stage 2? If not, what do I need to do?
Also the manual talks about how to using the 2nd stage setting. The manual says,
Select Stage Fast (ON or OFF) - When selected ON, the second stage starts as soon as the setpoint temperature is manually raised 3° F in heat or lowered 3° F in cool from room temperature. When selected OFF, the second stage will delay approximately 15 minutes before starting.
Can anyone recommend how I should set this, whether as ON or OFF? Would I burn less fuel if I leave the setting off and let it run mostly in stage 1?
Thanks.
links for your manuals and faq are at:http://www.white-rodgers.com/common/ptech/thermo/info_list_ms.htm#1F81-261
instructionpdf: http://www.white-rodgers.com/pdfs/instruction_sheets/0037-6228.pdf
http://www.white-rodgers.com/pdfs/04_Cat_pages/04_Cat_pg_191.pdf

you are better off letting the second stage cycle on temperature. Does this unit have A/C? In any case you will need to pull some new wire. and there are some setup options that need to be changed on the unit itself. If you have no idea what any of this means you would be better off calling your hvac co. back to do it for you. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

Sounds to me like you don't have enough wires to do the job.
How much did the technician want to replace the thermostat?