Help! Cracks in wall, some parts big, what to do?!?**Pics**

Hello,
Here are some pics of my parents house (I'm living with them while i college). Anyway, I was in my room, and I stood up a second to look ou the window (next to my bed), put my hand on the wall, and starte feeling something crumbling under my hand! Had I not pushed agains the wall I would have never known that "crack" was there, but when pushed against it, it started to cave in. I then traced it (pushin agsinst the wall, following the crackling) and found this! Is it m parents' house just settling?
I'm thinking, the previous owners just painted and filled over it otherwise the cracks would have been visible if they happened since w moved (and before the previous owner painted over it)? Or would it b possible for it to track and the paint not crack with it? Before i looked 100% normal? We live in a two story house. The upstairs w live in, and the downstairs is a fullsized basement. So what should w do? :(
Picture of crack going down the wall [image:
http://img96.exs.cx/img96/9296/cracknwall16tq.jpg ]
Here's the link to an upclose and big picture of the crack http://img96.exs.cx/img96/3530/bigpicofcracknwall5ta.jp
-- JonathanF
.sorry, the site was not loading the posts at firs
-- JonathanF
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 01:25:24 +0000, JonathanF

Many of us will never see attachments on non-binary newsgroups. If you did try to post images, post a link to them on a web site instead.
You failed to even mention what kind of walls (material) or how old they are, so this post appears pointless to me.
David Efflandt Wrote:

remember correctly
-- JonathanF
I can fine no stinkin fotos, No link
.sorry, the site wasn't loading them, so I tried to repost two othe
times, and they all showed up, woop
-- JonathanF
JonathanF Wrote:

Help? What do you think I should do
-- JonathanF

It looks like the house is settling and the cracks were just filled and painted over as you suggested. You should get a structural engineer to come by and check it out. If you know a builder he may also be able to give you a clue....How long have your folks owned the home? I ask because in most states they have disclosure laws and if this was covered up by the previous owners then your next trip may be to an attorney.....good luck, Ross
Jonathan, You really need to stop posting the same stuff so many times.
The cracks look like normal, garden variety cracks in a plaster wall. You can v out the cracks and use either setting drywall compound or Imperial plaster to repair the crack. Particular attention needs to be paid to the finish texture of your repair work if you want to truly disguise the patch. This will require repainting the wall to cover the work. There is a fair chance the crack will reappear.

Ask your parents. Marina
JonathanF wrote:

was always cracking - not much you can do as far as i know except strip the wall and put up sheet rock. Eric
--
King County Washington: Voter Fraud Capitol of the US

I didn't mean to post it three times, this website was slow and and s
it just kept "loading" but wouldn't post, so the third time I posted i work, but then the other two popped up.
We've been in the house for about 12 years or so I'm guessing, so guess we can't do anything then about it besides fix it ourselves
-- JonathanF
JonathanF wrote:

There are black specks on the wall - holes or artifact? Is the wall adjacent to an exterior doorway? Good place for termites to locate. Had annual termite inspections? That is where I would start.