Heat Surge

Page 2 of 2

It varies, even locally. The place we bought our furniture, as you note, used modern electric-powered woodworking tools but weren't attached to the grid. They had a bank of diesel generators in the barn. They also used electric lights. Other places used gas lights and farmed out the woodworking, mostly to individuals, AIUI.

Haven't seen them go that far, but the furniture place above does have a web site, computers, calculators, and cell phones. Interetingly, they have non-Amish do their deliveries.

The ones I knew drove to PA to get the lumber (They didn't grow much Cherry in OH ;-).

Amish furniture is big business in Eastern Ohio. Nice stuff and not a whole lot more expensive than decent store-bought stuff. The furniture we bought will be handed down to the kids and probably theirs.

In some cases, the power is supplied by a generator, but not the grid. There are some that are talented furniture makers, but like every slice of life, some are not.
On 11/6/2010 9:21 AM, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

This guy is a sock puppet.
LOL you guys fell for it.