Heat Pump vs. 2-Stage Heat Pump

am attempting to identify if a Trane XL1600 is considered a "Heat Pump" or "2-Stage Heat Pump" ?

the unit does have 2 separate compressors

have read the owners manual (link XL16i (4TWX6) ) at

..but don't see it mentioned anywhere

the reason I would need this is to tell my thermostat program (it asks for type of Heat Pump and shows the two options "Heat Pump" or "2-Stage Heat Pump"

many thanks (posted in error initially to alt.hvac)

Reply to
Susan

Its a two stage outdoor unit, and if you have electric backup, or other form of backup heat, its a three stage. If the outdoor unit is wired to bring both compressors online at the same time, and have a form of backup heat, its only two stage.

Reply to
CBHVAC

It was not at all posted in error in alt.hvac. You're very welcome to post questions there.

Reply to
Rob

no electric backup as I have year round temps above 15 Celsius (mostly at 30 C and higher)

it's wired to run first compressor for up to 30 min and then start 2nd compressor if desired temp is not reached also, the temp differential is set to 1 degree + 1 degree (ie. start unit-1 if temp is hotter by 1 degree than desired setting and run also unit-2 if 2 or more degrees difference)

so, I suppose that answers it should be setup as 2-stage heat pump, thanks

Reply to
Susan