HDTV question/opinion wanted.

My 60" big screen Hitachi Ultravision TV is about to give out and we are thinking about buying a new HDTV. I want to get another 60" one. There are so many different kinds out there that it is hard to decide what to get. I've heard bad things about both LCD and plasma. Now I understand there is another model called SXRD out there. I would like all of you're opinions as to brand and model that you think is the best one to buy. I'll consider the price later, but I would like to know what is the top of the line. I heard that it is wise to consider purchasing an extended warranty with these new TV's I tried Googleing, but there is a lot of crap that pops up and one doesn't know what to look at. Thanks for your help.
Here is a link to the explanation of SXRD which seems to be a DLP improvement. http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,117749-page,1/article.html Personally, I'll hold out for the SEDs; http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/sed_tvs.htm
Eric in North TX wrote:

Check out the Sony XBR2 line of LCDs. I think they have a 60" model. Just spent several hours with a friend who is looking at buying a 46-50". We went to 4 stores and both thought that the Sony XBRs had the best picture. But coming very close was the Panasonic line of Plasma, which top out at 56". The picture of the Sony's appeared to us to be just a little bit sharper. Also, the Sonys are 1080P, while the Pannys are 1080i. But for the big difference in price, the Panny's are by far the better value. You can get a 50" for $2K. Check out the ratings at Cnet.
As for which technology is better today, I think it's a toss up. One key characteristic worth considering is that Plasmas all have significant reflection from their glass screen. In a room with sunlight or ceiling lights, it's noticeable. LCD's don't have reflection.
I would forget about extended service contracts, because I have yet to find one that's worth it. They all are expensive and high margin for those selling them.

Can't give you advice on specific HDTVs as I'm perfectly happy with plain old NTSC, but I can strongly caution you to avoid any Panasonic (a.k.a. MatsuSHITa) product as I have found them to be very unreliable over many years of experience.
Pete C.

I'm not psychic, so I'd wait until it did give out, and I'd watch another tv for a week or a month or whatever it took to get a new one.
Oh, maybe that's what you meant. Sorry. Planning ahead is a very good thing.

And SEDs! More reasons to wait. :)

will wrote:

Hi, At present my order of choice; Plasma(Panasonic), LCD(Sharp), LCos(JVC). I have Plasma set on my home theater system.
compare only 1080p not 1080i, next will be 2160 or more when everyone has 1080p.
sony sxrd is THE best picture out . better than plama lcd etc. They want $2500 for a 55"
will wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com wrote:

If it's THE best picture out there, why would Sony sell it for $2500? That's way less than their own LCD units of much smaller size. And you can't get a new current model of anything with a decent picture in 55" for that price.

Well of all the HDTV's I've seen (I've been shopping for one) the SXRD was by far the clearest most vivid picture. It's relatively cheap because its a projection not a flat tv. Go to circuit city and watch the sxrd with 1080 input (DVD or tv) and then say it's not the best. Read reviews online. I just dont want to spend that much . If it were under $2k I'd get it in a heartbeat

snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com wrote:

SXRD appears to be a branding that Sony applies not only to their LCOS products, but to their LCD as well. And they position the LCOS as entry level, not best picture, which is why the Sony LCD cost significantly more. I'm not saying a LCOS could be a good choice from a price/performance point, but it isn't close to the best picture available.
http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/assets/hpd/hdtv/choose-grandwega.php?DCMP=HPD_Bravia_Google&HQS=sony_sxrd

Check this out http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/reviews/20051115/sxrd.html
Seeing is believing. The SXRD 1080 projection is the only tv that ever "wowed" me. Why do they still want $2500 when a 50" plasma can be had for under $2k? Until you see it dont criticize. The OP really needs to check these units out. The dynamic iris and silicon doohickets allow more pixel density

http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/assets/hpd/hdtv/choose-grandwega.php?DCMP=HPD_Bravia_Google&HQS=sony_sxrd

You will probably find that most folks are going to think what they have is wonderful, and everything else is not. You might start looking around here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?tq6067 which will permit you to access many makes/models/hompages/comments. Then if you want. you can go here and see if you can find an appropreiate forum to help you: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=6
Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime

You heard wrong, it is not wise to get an extended warranty. They just suck money out of your wallet. TV's, like most electronics, will either fail within or month or so (during the warranty), or will work many, many years.