HDTV question/opinion wanted.

My 60" big screen Hitachi Ultravision TV is about to give out and we are thinking about buying a new HDTV. I want to get another 60" one. There are so many different kinds out there that it is hard to decide what to get. I've heard bad things about both LCD and plasma. Now I understand there is another model called SXRD out there. I would like all of you're opinions as to brand and model that you think is the best one to buy. I'll consider the price later, but I would like to know what is the top of the line. I heard that it is wise to consider purchasing an extended warranty with these new TV's I tried Googleing, but there is a lot of crap that pops up and one doesn't know what to look at. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
will

Here is a link to the explanation of SXRD which seems to be a DLP improvement.

I'll hold out for the SEDs;

Eric in North TX

Check out the Sony XBR2 line of LCDs. I think they have a 60" model. Just spent several hours with a friend who is looking at buying a

46-50". We went to 4 stores and both thought that the Sony XBRs had the best picture. But coming very close was the Panasonic line of Plasma, which top out at 56". The picture of the Sony's appeared to us to be just a little bit sharper. Also, the Sonys are 1080P, while the Pannys are 1080i. But for the big difference in price, the Panny's are by far the better value. You can get a 50" for $2K. Check out the ratings at Cnet.

As for which technology is better today, I think it's a toss up. One key characteristic worth considering is that Plasmas all have significant reflection from their glass screen. In a room with sunlight or ceiling lights, it's noticeable. LCD's don't have reflection.

I would forget about extended service contracts, because I have yet to find one that's worth it. They all are expensive and high margin for those selling them.

Reply to
trader4

Can't give you advice on specific HDTVs as I'm perfectly happy with plain old NTSC, but I can strongly caution you to avoid any Panasonic (a.k.a. MatsuSHITa) product as I have found them to be very unreliable over many years of experience.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I'm not psychic, so I'd wait until it did give out, and I'd watch another tv for a week or a month or whatever it took to get a new one.

Oh, maybe that's what you meant. Sorry. Planning ahead is a very good thing.

And SEDs! More reasons to wait. :)

Reply to
mm

Hi, At present my order of choice; Plasma(Panasonic), LCD(Sharp), LCos(JVC). I have Plasma set on my home theater system.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

compare only 1080p not 1080i, next will be 2160 or more when everyone has 1080p.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
bigjim

If it's THE best picture out there, why would Sony sell it for $2500? That's way less than their own LCD units of much smaller size. And you can't get a new current model of anything with a decent picture in 55" for that price.

Reply to
trader4

You will probably find that most folks are going to think what they have is wonderful, and everything else is not. You might start looking around here:

will permit you to access many makes/models/hompages/comments. Then if you want. you can go here and see if you can find an appropreiate forum to help you:
Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime

Reply to
Roy Starrin

Reply to
bigjim

SXRD appears to be a branding that Sony applies not only to their LCOS products, but to their LCD as well. And they position the LCOS as entry level, not best picture, which is why the Sony LCD cost significantly more. I'm not saying a LCOS could be a good choice from a price/performance point, but it isn't close to the best picture available.

trader4

bigjim

You heard wrong, it is not wise to get an extended warranty. They just suck money out of your wallet. TV's, like most electronics, will either fail within or month or so (during the warranty), or will work many, many years.

Reply to
Bob M.