HD water heater installations

What a pain. I went the $299.00 installation route from Home Depot instead of learning and doing myself.
Two days for a call back to schedule and of course the installer/plumber? was 3 hours late - showed up at 6:30pm. Expected that much
What I did not expect was an unqualified, uncertified "plumbers helper"...with a 16 yr old "helper" to do this job. Seems HD subs out the work to local Plumbing Co's and in my case THEY subbed it out again.
Guy took 6 and half hours!!!! Left at 1:15 AM. I had to remind him three times to put the pan under, the fourth time he had to cut the pipes he had already sweated....I guess three reminders were not enough. Then he had to cut and redo again once he noticed he would not clear the gas vent, which I came down to point out. Made two angles on each pipe when he could have just cut higher and done one each...what a moron! Tried to convince me of not getting it inspected when he first started. No problem I thought...until the end...then asked to have it processed.
Called the HD service 800 # three days later to follow up on permits....and to complain. I wastold a manager would get right back to me. Called again today...three days later and was told that the store had to deal with it, when connected to my local store, I was told the Service # HAD TO DO IT...run around!
Finally ended up with 10% off when the girl from the 800# told me the local plumber would not adjust installation price...at least the HD side finally budged.
GET A PLUMBER OR DO YOURSELF.....HOME DEPOT IS LAME!
I said it before and I'll say it again..this country is going by the third world rep. Unqualified, unlicensed installers...outsourced.
3 hours late because he screwed up the previous customer's installation as well. I'd wonder if he was stoned too.
Dosen't mater what the job, HD is too far from the action to ensure anything about it.
To even suggest not inspecting suggests he knew there could be a problem and simply unethical for a tradesman to even mention.
Sounds like you should have never left the room and just played supervisor the whole time. Usually not advised but in hindsight...................
Did they surcharge for the permit or was it included? You possibly could have saved money by pulling the permit yourself and arranging the inspection on your time.
DIY next time, my last WH replacement (done for a neighbor friend) took me 1.5 hours and that included a trip to the store for new nipples. (easy access in garage). I was paid with dinner.

problem guys is that if you do it yourself, you are endangering yourself and your family if you work with a gas water heater. do you want to blow your house up?
sounds like you had a terrible experience, and one that should not have happened. i would have reported this to the state/county officials. that plumber shouldn't have even been allowed near gas.

your house up? <<<<<
how does that follow?
cheers Bob
gas explosion

It's not rocket science to hook up a flexible gas line and test it with soapy water (your nose should work pretty well too). 3 times so far and no boom. Obvoiusly if you don't feel comfortable, call a pro but don't act like ONLY a pro could possibly understand the complicated workings of a gas pipe. On the other hand, a WH can be very heavy and that may be a good enough reason to hire help.
The OP seemed to have more common sense than the installer.

Sorry SeaKan but that does not follow, ie
DIY does not mean "endangering yourself and
your family if you work with a gas water heater"
it only means that if you don't know what you're doing & do an inadequate job
cheers & good luck
Bob