Hauling Refrigerator from hjome depot....

yesterday i was passing home depot and saw a guy in a pickup truck with a brand new refigerator in the back laying down. he just pulled out of home depot... poor guy i guess he does not know that you not suppose to do that if you want the refrigerator to work?????
not a prob if you let is stand upright for 24 hrs before you plug it in....

Perhaps. I had a long discussion recently with the SubZero technician as I prepared to have mine moved. The issue of allowing oil to settle is there as always, but he was more concerned that internal damage to the compressors could occur because of the way the internal mechanism is suspended. His Explanation seemed to hold water so I'll make sure they are kept upright.
RB
tecwhiz wrote:

Hi all,
Uprite is best!....but some tips if there is no other way to move the refrigerator other than on it's side... http://www.applianceaid.com/faq-side.html
A box or something under the top part of the fridge propping the top to be higher than the bottom ( when you lay it down ) would also help keep the oil in compressor.
jim wrote:

Actually, you can haul them laying on their side... but if you do, then you have to let them sit upright for a period of time before trying to run it.
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Some refrig compressors (not sure which ones) if you lay it on the side, the lubricating oil gets into the piston. And when you turn it on, the compressor breaks.
--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated

Actually, the biggest problem is if compressor oil gets into the *refrigerant lines*, it will plug them. But if it ever got sucked back into the compressor, it would ruin the compressor's valves as you can not compress a liquid.
JFYI.
Sealed systems are designed so that it's OK to feed a bit of oil with the refrigerant. At least AC and split systems are. I'd doubt that compressor oil would "plug" the lines. I'd be more worried about the slug getting into the piston.
--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated

alt-hvac Moderated wrote in message ...

A "bit" of oil, as in microscopic particles which can be carried by the refrigerant. Not the "ounces" of oil which would get into the refrigerant lines if the unit was tipped. And especially not on the high side where that oil would be forced through the capillary tub (metering device) which is much smaller on a domestic refrigeration appliances than on HVAC equipment.
JFYI
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=air+conditioner
=~~~~~~