Hammer drill

For drilling in poured concrete and cinder block what is a good size and make of Hammer drill? I've looked at Dewalt and B&D. Can't decide. Thanks

Reply to
Evon

For everyday work best is Hilti. for qualty good tools Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita, De walt. B&D , Sears, Ryobi, Skill are the cheaply built models.

Reply to
m Ransley

Try renting one or more to see how it performs for you.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

A lot depends on the size of hole. For larger holes, you need a good quality drill. Ridgid makes a nice one that Home Depot would likely let you return within 90 days if you don't like it.

Reply to
Alan

I have a Dewalt 18 v cordless/hammer drill that works fine for block and small holes up to 3/8" I have a Milwaukee 1/2" corded drill that works well up to 5/8" holes I have a Hilti TE-52 ($$$$$$) that will cut holes up to 4 inch in what ever. I have used the hilti in concrete slabs, footings, stems and even pre-stressed. With the diamond bits it will even cut through rebar.

Decide how much you plan on using the tool. No sense in paying thousands for an tool that you are going to use occasionally. If you just have a project to do renting is an good idea.

Reply to
SQLit

I would say stay away from B&D. My son bought a new B&D hammer drill to make four holes in his garage floor. First drill burned up (literally) after just 1 1/2 holes. The second one didn't work at all.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Unless it's the Black & Decker Professional line, in which case the B&D and DeWalt are almost certainly the same tool, then stay away from the B&D.

I've not used any DeWalt hammer drills, but they're probably fine. My hammer drill is this Bosch:

and it's a pleasure to use; very smooth and capable.

Hammer drills are quite loud. Use ear protection.

Reply to
Bo Williams

My B&D drill broke after an hour of use - the drill is junk. I had three

12.5" Dewalt planers and all had the same defect - its over rated and would not buy Dewalt again.

If money is no object it would be a Hilti or a Milwaukee hammer drill.

I have a cheap $60 Harbor Freight 1" SDS hammer drill for over a year and its holding up well. It could bust through rocks and 4" concrete slab - perfect for occasional use. Other people have problems with the chuck, its not broken but a little tricky to insert the SDS bits.

Reply to
KimChee

DeWalt is good, Milwaukee is better.

Reply to
Phisherman

I've got an old Hilti TE-52............it's an awesome tool! Got it after I gave up on a midsized Bosch. The Hilti drills about 5x faster. I use it for

9/16 up to 1 1/4"

Also have a Milwaukee "Falcon" hammer drill. works great for smaller holes (up to 3/4") got it on Ebay

Reply to
Bob K 207

Neither. When it comes to corded drills I prefer Milwaukie.

Reply to
davefr