Hallway light switch wiring

Can someone help please. I need to replace a hallway socket which is a 2-way switch.
The switch has connections Common, L1, L2 I have wires coloured:
Light brown Black Blue (with brown sleeve) Dark brown Grey
Which wires go in which connectors?
Many thanks.

Wait a minute -- do you mean you need to replace a socket, or a switch?

That's a 3-way switch.

Ummmm.... you'd better post your question on d-i-y.uk -- most of the people in alt.home.repair are Americans and Canadians, and our conductor color codes are *completely* different from yours.

--
Regards,

back the same way it was. Beyond that, I haven't any idea what you are talking about.
atticus wrote:

Absolute nonsense.
It's a simple repair.
shebaaa wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Didn't you see the ";-)"?

In the US that is called a 3-way, even though it only goes 2 ways.
I hope it's the same in England. We don't need another "billion" fiasco.

What I would do is look at the old switch and look at the new switch and decide which connectors correspond. There is usually one connector on one side, and two on the other, for some definition of "side". They might be embossed (or whatever the opposite is) in the plastic.
Between the two that are on one side, it doesn't matter which is which, unless you want both switches to be up when it the light is on (or off), or one to be up and the other to be down. If you don't get it the way you want, you have to interchange these two wires.
If you mix up the single wire with one of the two wires, I don't think anything bad can happen. When I bought my house, one hall switch was like that, so I could only turn the light off if it was already on via the other switch. I couldn't turn it on if it was off at the other switch. I had to draw a diagram to figure out which wires were reversed, and after that, I reversed the wires.
I'm pretty sure the worst you can do is have the switch not work quite right. If anyone believes you can blow a fuse, let us know.

I heard it's called "3 way" because the circuit has wiring going to 3 locations, the 2 switches and to the light. There's also a "4 way" switch used when controlling a light from 3 locations.
[snip]

Mark Lloyd

Not quite. It's called a "3 way" because there are three terminals on the switch. The "4 way" switch, which has four terminals, can be added to as many more locations as you want to control the light from. I'd draw an ascii-art diagram, but I'm sure there are many better diagrams out on the web (YCGI).
-Don
--
"Trust me, there is NO way to nonchalantly conceal the fact that you have a
power tool in your head, no matter what you do." -- El Gato

Yes. That includes 3. It isn't possible to say EVERYTHING in a short post.

I know how they're connected. A 4-way switch is effectively a DPDT switch with the opposite terminals internally connected. This arrangement reverses the connections between 2 wires.
BTW, the first time I say such a switch it was being used to reverse the direction of a small DC motor. I learned something from the toy lunar rover I got for my 11th birthday.

Mark Lloyd