Gutter advise

I don't expect to get any new answers for my problem, but you never know, so here I go.
I have a small section of roof that I need to put a gutter on. The roof is a gable over the front porch. The edge where the gutter would go is only about 4 feet long, so that isn't a problem. The problem is the down spout. The edge of the roof is over the middle of the living room window. If I put a regular down spout on it it will come down in the middle of the window. I can put some elbows on and move it back to the side of the window, but the first elbow will be directly in front of the window. This is not what I consider a desirable situation. Does any body have any suggestions?
Thanks a lot Bill

Search "rainchain" (pic)
http://www.pacificgutter.com/sitebuilder/images/Starflower_Rainchain-750x1113.jpg

http://www.pacificgutter.com/Monthouse.html
Oren wrote:

http://www.pacificgutter.com/sitebuilder/images/Starflower_Rainchain-750x1113.jpg Thanks, that may be just what I need. When I first saw rainchain I thought of people who have used a plain chain instead of a down spout. But when I looked at the picture I saw it is a completely different kettle of fish. The biggest problem I see is that it is rather expensive. But then it seems to be a fairly simple thing, I might be able to rig up something for myself. It will just take a little thought and planning.
And I don't need to put it up immediately, I have just started scraping the front of the house to paint it. And after that I will paint the trim, then I can think about the gutter.
Bill
BillGill wrote:

It doesn't have to be a rain-chain. Use the concept to devise your own waterfall. Combine it with a wind-chime, waterwheels, little gnomes riding slides down Thunder River, Mississippi Steamboats struggling against the upstream currents, U.S. gunboats showing the flag on the mighty Yangtze River, Gandhi and his followers performing ablutions in the Ganges, beavers building dams, Niagra Falls, ride the rapids. God, a whole diorama awaits you!
You could go nuts like those fools who erect dozens of elves and reindeer and thousands of lights for the holiday season. It's a hobby that could keep you occupied for years and you'd be the talk of the neighborhood.
Follow the rule: If you can't hide it, make it the centerpiece!

Can down spout / leader be placed in the middle of the gutter or at the other end? T
BillGill wrote:

Don't put a down spout. I didn't.
--
Claude Hopper ? 3 :) 7/8

There are people who don't have gutters on certain structures for historical or asthetic reasons, but what they'll often do is relocate their gutters to the ground in a sense by digging out a V-shaped trench around their structure which is bottom-lined with impermiable plastic and then filled with perforated drainage line surrounded by gravel, topped off with geotextile fabric (to keep dirt out) and another layer of gravel. The drainage line takes the water far away from the foundation.
The pipe leading away can (and should) be solid, not perforated.
mike wrote:

down the front of the house and not doing the wood any good. It hasn't gotten extremely bad yet, but I think I need to do something to protect it.
Bill
I had a small gutter, about 1 foot long that didn't make sense to put a spout on so I cut a 1 inch hole in the end, inserted a short length of PVC pipe, slopped down and out from the house, and the water simply shot out away from the house like a spigot. It ended up making a hole in the ground were it dropped, so I put a decorative pot filled with gravel at that spot in the garden and it works great.