Grout Question?

BlankI need to re-grout the ceramic towel on a bathroom shower area. Do I need to remove all of the grout from each and every grout line before spreading new grout?
Or, will the new grout (mixed with a latex adhesive instead of water) simply "stick" to the old grout once I scrape a bit of the old grout out, but not completely remove the grout that is there?
Thanx in advance
--
Mark

Was a silicone sealer used on the grout you're removing?
RB
Mark wrote:

Have you shopped grout removal companies? See if the price is affordable for you first. This is a miserable Job.
You'll want to get a dremel or rotozip grout removal kit to skim the surface off so the new grout will stick.
Better solution might be steam cleaning the grout you have and repairing with new grout as needed.
Good Luck
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. -- WCF http://www.utahhousevalues.com
Fein has one of those triangle detail sanders which can take other cutters in place of the triangle sandpaper. I have been told that the grout cutter works well ... don't know personally. The tool is at http://www.feinus.com/newmultimaster/multimaster.htm . I have used it with a 'scraper/cutter' and it worked well, but it is a bit pricey.
Darrell wrote:

I saw a grout removal tool made by Fein...and it said that the blade was for "standard" grout lines...and they didn't give the dimensions of a standard grout line. Wall grout width differs from floor grout widths. Is standard 1/16"?
Mark
--
"Art Todesco" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
If you're trying to remove the narrow grout lines found between 4" tiles the carbide Fein blade may be a bit thick. It works well though for 1/4" grout lines. I was looking at a diamond grout blade the other day and as I recall it was thinner, perhaps thin enough to do 1/16."
RB