Great way to paint

Page 1 of 2
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1511052_696729870371740_1785623746_n.jpg

Well, how else are they supposed to paint there.
On 02/10/2014 04:49 PM, micky wrote:

Me and my buddies worked our way through college and did some really dumb things...but not quite as dumb as in that picture.
If we could not reach something, we'd either tie our brush to a long stick or else use a roller with a long pole screwed into the handle.
"Me and my buddies worked..."
You wouldn't say "Me worked..", so don't say "Me and my buddies. ." Correct is "I and my buddies.." Better is "My buddies and I.."
You've been watching too many badly scripted tv shows. Ivan Vegvary
On 02/17/2014 08:14 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

I don't have a TV I tossed it out 25 years ago.
This is Usenet and the way I speak here is just fine.
If I spoke 100% correct English here I'm sure I'd get harassed.
To demonstrate to you that I am capable of non-vernacular speech, take the example of sandwiches cut in half...then again so.
Had you had halfs, you would have had to have had half halves.

You know how they say that if you walk half way across a room, then walk half way again and then half way again and keep doing that, you'll never make it to the other side?
Shouldn't the same thing happen when you drop something? At some point it's half way to the floor. Later on it's half way between that point and the floor. Later still it's half way again. So how come it always hits the floor?

Sometimes called Zeno's Dichotomy Paradox.
Of course the object doesn't move by an infinite number of halves. In quantum physics, you can't measure infinitely small distances, uncertainty takes over.
Check out Wikipedia for a discussion of Zeno's Paradoxes.
Oh, also, I am not a physicist.
--
Dan Espen

On 02/19/2014 09:53 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

OK, I see you knew that.
I once had to read "Psycholinguistics and Plato's paradoxes of the Meno".
I'm sure a lot of people here will want to discuss that one.
On 02/19/2014 09:13 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I suppose I should have written
Had you had halves, you would have had to have had half halves.

Was that Zeno's paradox?
If so I only read half of it.
Then half of the second half
On 2/10/14 4:33 PM, philo wrote:

That does look a bit risky. Blue shirt guy could suffocate.
They're doing it all wrong.
The guy in the blue shirt should be bending a 4X8 sheet of plastic laminate into that wall/ceiling corner. (so that it covers 4 feet of the ceiling at a time)
And the guy in the red shirt should be on the safe side of the banister painting up to that plastic laminate with a paint roller on a pole.
That way, the survival rate is higher.
--
nestork

On 2/10/2014 5:33 PM, philo wrote:

Telescoping poles are sold, which can take paint rollers. This ladder trick looks dangerous.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/10/2014 07:51 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

It's way more foolish than anything I could have thought of.

Then you are not thinking hard enough.
When I was young and foolisher, I helped a friend paint the outside of his house. We didn't go have a ladder that would reach the small triangle above the third story (attic) window, just below the peak of the roof. Something like this...
http://blandwood.org/images/exterior3_001.jpg
We took the sashes out of the window and screwed a 2 x 10 across the opening. My friend climbed out of the window, standing on the sill, facing the house. I stood inside the attic with my arms wrapped around his thighs, holding him against the 2 x 10. Another friend kept loading up the brush with paint and handing it out to my friend.
His wife watched from the sidewalk, crying hysterically. Man, was she pissed.
On 02/10/2014 10:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Amazing.
Here is the dumbest thing we ever did.
We were painting a house similar to the one shown and needed a 40 foot ladder which we did not have.
We ended up tying two together. We used quite a few sections of very strong rope that were not going to let go...then we hefted the ladder up.
The ladders tied together were wooden,,,and very heavy...and that's what the problem was, we could not get it back down again.
Eventually once the coast was clear, we just let it fall!

It looks safe enough to me. Not much way the ladder can fall. It can only move sideways.

You Yanks don't know nothing. This is the real man's way to paint a room.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
lqlDjTnPw
On 02/11/2014 10:39 AM, harryagain wrote:

Nope, haven't tried that one yet.
When we were painting houses though we did come up with an ingenious idea though:
Use a pantograph

The way I paint, I might as well try that. I do cover everything before I start. The finished room looks fine, but there is almost as much paint on the drop cloths as on the walls.
On 02/11/2014 11:50 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

About three years ago I carried a gallon of Latex paint up from the basement.
It had been sitting around for a /long/ time so I stirred it well.
As I carried it up the stairs I very carefully kept my eyes on the top of the pail to make sure I did not spill one drop.
Of course I did not notice there was a small hole in the bottom!!!!
It was dark brown paint and I never was able to completely clean all of it out of the carpet. Fortunately the carpet was dark and multi-colored so it's /almost/ indiscernible.
It had obviously rusted and the act of opening the can must have broken it through.
My conclusion: Don't store Latex paint for ten years or more!