"GREAT STUFF" (not so great)

Page 1 of 2
I always like to keep a can of "Great Stuff" on hand, in case I have an uninvited guess appear in one of the buildings (as in mouse). Mice are common on farms (which this is). If I find the point of entry at 1:00am, I want to plug the hole NOW, not tomorrow.
I had a can on the shelf and was doing some work in my tool shed. It was cold outside and I felt a draft. Thats when I found there was an leak right below the eaves. I go and get my can of "Great Stuff" from the house and prepare to fill that crack. However, the can does not work. No matter how hard I push the trigger, nothing comes out. I remove the nozzle, and try to poke a piece of wire into the spout. Put the nozzle back on the can and still nothing comes out. (Yes, this is a brand new can). Once again, I try and this time the can's spout broke off.
It's 11pm so no stores are open, so I'm screwed till the next day.
When I got in the house, I decided to email the manufacturer, "Dow Chemical Co.". I go to the website on the can, www.dowgreatstuff.com and send an email. Nearly a week later, I get this reply:
--
"Dear (my name),

Thank you for contacting The Dow Chemical Company.
✖
On Nov 5, 12:09 am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Yeah, you are one of those nit-picky consumers that drive the price up for everyone else by bitching when something you bought and kept on a shelf for three years doesn't work all the way up to the last day of the month printed on the can...
Maybe if you stored the stuff better or actually used things like within a few months of buying them you wouldn't have so many problems... Since you can't remember where you bought it from that means you are either forgetful or have had it so long you have lost any reasonable claim to bitch about it not working perfectly -- the foam cured in your can...
If you don't remember where you bought something from, then how do you expect the manufacturer to help you, most of the "replacements" today require submittal of some proof of purchase so that it can be determined whether you bought the item through a legitimate vendor rather than borderline quality control cast offs which are liquidated/disposed of through dollar store or discount chains rather than being wasteful and being destroyed...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

-snip-
I always keep 2 cans for that very reason. And I never just do a single job. When I see a spot that can use some, I make a note of it and write it on a card placed between my 2 cans. When there is enough to use a whole can, I go to work. If the first can fails- I have a backup. IME about one can in 6 is a dud.
The good news is, it is worth $4 to see the mess a full, but apparently worthless can makes when you shoot it with a pellet gun.
Hint-- backup 20-30 feet, and don't have anything you like within a 20 foot diameter. you can triple the 'mess zone' by suspending the can on a 3-4' string.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

Buy the "hardware store inhouse brand" stuff - the foam ingredients are made by DOW - and often the can is even filled by them, but you deal with Ace, Home Hardware, Canadian Tire, or whoever - and you can NOT forget where you bought it because it has their logo on it. Usually about 20% cheaper too.
If you think you are saving money by buying from the BORG or other "big box" stores you are stuck with national brand and guessing where you bought it.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 5, 10:07 am, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

On the other hand, most Borgs will take back any product they sell even without a receipt. HD for example will simply issue store credit.
As long as it scans into their system, they'll issue a refund.
Since HD sells Great Stuff, the OP could have "returned" it there.
Add pictures here
✖
I learned a LONG time ago, when you use a can of Great Stuff, use the whole can, or toss the left overs. It seldom works the second time. And there are faulty cans, which one can return to the Borg. But I must admit, I will try one on a string with a .22 lr hollow point.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

It's not too tough a thing to learn...I quote from the can:
"GREAT STUFF can seal itself shut. One time use should be expected."
Of course, it also says:
"If product does not flow easily, do not force product from can."
How exactly would one *force* the product from the can if one wanted to? You pull the trigger and it either flows or it doesn't. It's not like you can get behind the product and push it through the applicator.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 21:15:55 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Squeeze the can in a vice for starters.
Add pictures here
✖

It should squirt at least that far. Maybe set up the vise close to the target?
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

I understood exactly what you were proposing, both the process and the expected results.
It appears that perhaps it was you that misunderstood my point.
Let's follow the logic...
The normal use of the product is to insert the straw into a gap, depress the trigger and fill the gap to ~50%. The foam will then expand and fill the gap.
Removing the product from the can, either forcibly or not, without the straw in the gap that you are trying to fill is pretty much a waste of time - and product.
So, do you really think that when the manufacture said "do not force the product from the can" that they were picturing consumers putting the can in a vice and carrying the vice and can to the gap and attempting to "force" the product from the can and into the gap?
If that's not what you are suggesting, then kindly explain the point of squeezing the can in a vice. Why would anyone "force" the product from the can if it wasn't to get the product into the gap?
If you really were planning on using the vice to force the product from the can and into the gap, then I'll say it again:
Let me know how that works out for you.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 16:32:09 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

You miss the point. There is no logic to a pissed off homeowner that has a dead can of spray. They just want to get the stuff out and are likely to tray anything, dumb, dangerous and impractical.
Add pictures here
✖

I can say that I am a reasonably intelligent person. I am 62 years old. Over my life, I do admit to doing some incredibly stupid things with cans of whatever under pressure trying to get my money's worth out of the contents.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

Ever squish a long balloon?
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

Center punch.
-- Tekkie
Add pictures here
✖

Drill the can or nozzle. Not a good idea.
Add pictures here
✖

It's not too tough a thing to learn...I quote from the can:
"GREAT STUFF can seal itself shut. One time use should be expected."
Of course, it also says:
"If product does not flow easily, do not force product from can."
How exactly would one *force* the product from the can if one wanted to? You pull the trigger and it either flows or it doesn't. It's not like you can get behind the product and push it through the applicator.
reply: Vices, hammers, clamps, stomping. Lots of ways. But they all would have consequences..................
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 21:15:55 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Squeeze like a giant toothpaste tube
Add pictures here
✖

It isn't critical. It just gives the can some 'swinging room'. Contrary to what I thought when I shot my first one, it doesn't just squirt out. The first one was resting on the ground and jumped all over a 3-4 foot circle spraying in very direction.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 07:21:31 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Losing a customer hurts and can cause them financial strain. I'm selling off my Dow stocks NOW..
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/5/2011 12:09 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote: However, the can does not

Same happened to me, no receipt. Tried to return it to Lowz and they said they don't sell that size can. Took it to the borg and they happily gave me a new can.
Add pictures here
✖