Great stuff

Who uses Great Stuff the foam insulation in a can? I like the stuff and it works great. I just don't need the entire can for most jobs. What is the best way to be able to use the can and spray nozzle again? It seems no matter what I do it's clogged next time. Even if you use high pressure air to blow out the tube and clean out the can tip with a wire it seems to never work again. I can't find any solvent that will dissolve it.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw
Van Chocstraw wrote:

acetone will clean out the tube, but you'll most likely never use the can again. they're a one shot deal AFAIC

There is a slim chance that you can use a can a second time if you dismantle the nozzle, can and straw. Poke a pipe cleaner through the nozzle, and through the straw- and a 3d one into the end of the can. Pull them out when thoroughly dry.
I used to do that & sometimes I saved a can. Now I keep a tally of where I need a partial can & never use it until I can empty a can. If I just need to do that 1/2 can job, I fill cracks in the cement floor of the garage, or cavities in the block out there. Makes me feel better about not throwing anything away. [but in the big scheme of things a 1/2 can is $2 or so, and I've probably wasted $2 once or twice in my life.
Jim

Take off rubber hose, throw away but keep screw on thing, turn can upright to just blow air, clean nozzle after its hard and buy a new hose at Ace. Its a 50-50 shot but I have reused a few that way. Usualy I throw away the whole nozzle and hose since I have extra since Ive done jobs that needed many cans so I switch nozzles to save them as one can empties. The junk in the can nozzle sometimes screwing in a screw and pulling it out works. Often old cans lack pressure so I soak them in hot water. Hot water also makes new cans shoot out quick, maybe no more than 120f. Id like to see one put in a campfire, from a distance.
It would mean buying a few more things, so you need to decide how big a deal this is to you.
Buy a cheap gun, $20-30 http://building.dow.com/na/en/products/specialty/pro13gun.htm
Buy cleaner, $6-10 http://building.dow.com/na/en/products/specialty/gspguncleaner.htm
Buy appropriate foam, $25-30
I've been running the same gun for years. The foams have a shelf life, so they can't just sit around for years. In fact, it would be best to buy from a supplier who goes through lots of material. There is a refrigeration company here that uses the one I use, so the suppliers stock is always fresh.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Acetone cleans uncured product. Once dry it can only be mechanically removed. When you clean out the straw, make sure you clean out the thingy it's attached to and also the top of the can where the thingy screws on.
Seems to work for me.

I think I saved and reused one back in 2001 or thereabouts, but it didn't last very long.
Joe
snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com says...

They used to come with an instruction booklet and a pair of plastic gloves! The official way to do it, and it works very well, is:
Dampen several toothpicks (flat ones work best). Pull everything apart. Insert one in the nozzle on the can (large end of the toothpick into the nozzle), and in each end of the dispensing tube and the plastic adapter. When the GS has dried, it will pop right out when you pull the toothpicks.
The way I usually do it is to spritz some acetone into the nozzle and tube using a lab bottle with a small nozzle. This works fine.
--
Dennis