Greasy popcorn!

Tenants just moved out [forced eveiction] they must have deep fryed everything without ever opening a window. Now all walls and ceilings not to mention fans are coated with grease. Fans are down to be cleaned, walls have been tsb'd but what about popcorn ceiling? I can't wash it. Painter friend suggested a bonding primer. Kilz says for grease stains but then says area must be free of grease.
I don't want to scrape this ceiling............................
Raider Bill wrote:

I have no idea, but if you have a small out of the way place to try something, I think I would try a foam roller with ammonia followed quickly be a dry roller to get the grease. Plus all the usual warning about safety glasses and ventilation....
Raider Bill wrote:

I woould try the kilz over the grease. I have painted over dirty paint with Kilz and had no problems. Might take a couple o' coats.
Raider Bill wrote:

The best primer might be 3/8" drywall. Not sure you'd want to keep a textured ceiling over a kitchen anyway.

For people who come from a culture of perennial suffering, textured ceilings like seeing the image of the virgin mary in their container of cream cheese.

Oh, is that who it was. Thought it was Madonna. Didn't have my glasses on.
Raider Bill wrote:

wash it with a paintbrush, with very light strokes. preferably a LONG bristled paintbrush. VERY time intensive, but should work. Did a similar process on some other textured stuff.

I don't blame you, but that may be the best in the log run. Not much sticks to grease very well.
How about washing with a scrub brush on a pole? What comes off stays off, the rest gets painted. Then you'dhave a smoother texture for next time.

The other ideas may be better, and I've never done this, but what about putting a tarp down on the floor etc, and spraying some kind of cleeaner on the ceiling.
Later you can take the tarp outside and let the rain clean it.

If this is going to be a rental unit for any length of time, this is as good a time as any to swap the ceiling treatment for something that's easier to maintain. Do they still make that white-coated masonite? That stuff cleans fairly easily.

I'm with you, Goedjn, Bill, get rid of the popcorn and either have the ceiling replastered or find another solution. Room will look much classier.