Grass / Weeds growing between patio blocks

Page 2 of 3
On 8/7/15 2:03 PM, Muggles wrote:

site. That study isn't in their files of studies.
A few years ago, a couple of reputable scientists fed beagles various doses of borax for three months. The highest was equivalent to my eating nearly a pound a week for three months.
They noted that all the beagles appeared and acted healthy. Then they butchered a male and a female from each group. They noted that the brain and testicles of the male fed the highest dose weighed less than those of the beagles who had been fed less or none at all.
Suddenly, borax was out of fashion among bodybuilders. Scientists who reviewed the study said one could not draw meaningful conclusions from a single dog. I don't think the scientists who did the study drew a conclusion. I think the pharmaceutical industry used that anomaly as propaganda. Shortly after discontinuing the borax, the scientists had butchered a second set of beagles and found that those fed the most borax had the same organ weights as the others.
That's why I'd like to see on what basis they say GMO corn or Roundup causes problems. CRIIGEN was founded as an anti-GMO group. French authorities have banned words of English origin ever since Shakespeare's time. I think CRIIGEN is a manifestation of the same French bigotry.
I don't eat French fries. I have my own secret recipe for freedom fries. I'll bet CRIIGEN would love to find out what it is so they could lobby the EPA to outlaw it.
On 8/7/2015 3:03 PM, J Burns wrote:

These days I'm not sure who to believe when it comes to chemicals like what's in RoundUp. I'd like to believe it's safe to use, but I just don't know.
--
Maggie

On 8/7/15 4:19 PM, Muggles wrote:

I play it safe by eating freedom fries in the morning and pinto beans in the evening. Potato and bean farmers don't use Roundup.
http://positivemed.com/2013/09/17/15-interesting-fun-facts-french-fries/
This page talks about the benefits of French fries, which they point out are actually Belgian fries. I suspect that Belgian fries are identical to my freedom fries because freedom from France is the whole point of being Belgian.
#7 says without adequate potassium, you'll be tireder, weaker, and slower in reflexes. Not good for working on a sloped roof.
On 8/7/2015 3:46 PM, J Burns wrote:

I would have to read this right about dinner time. I quit eating french fries because of the oil/fat content in them. After putting up that shelf I'm good and hungry now, too. {{resist temptation}}
--
Maggie

On 8/7/15 6:48 PM, Muggles wrote:

heat from the pan to the bottoms of the potato cubes. If it's a tablespoon, and it all ends up on my plate, that's about 100 calories. The government recommends that 30% of calories be fat, so that's a fraction of what I need.
It's probably not more than 150 grams of potato. That would be about 600 mg of potassium and 140 calories. Hmmm.... 41% of calories from fat, not far from government guidelines.
My butter consumption went down after I started eating freedom fries every day. So I guess they help meet my fat needs. I use canola oil. It's mostly monounsaturated, like olive oil, which Popeye loved as much as spinach.
It has lots of omega-3, which is supposed to improve cognitive ability for those of us who are a little slow. Maybe that explains how after all these years, I finally figured out how to use a stud finder, and it took only 15 minutes! I'm a regular wiz kid!
On 8/7/2015 7:49 PM, J Burns wrote:

lol you're funny! I appreciate the humor. :D
I have southern blood running through my veins, and fried potatoes are like home town cooking for me. The oil in them doesn't like me as much as I like the oil in the fried potatoes ever since I had my gall bladder out some years ago.
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

which cauases it. However small it is VERY important organ for us. When talking about Potassium, don't forget Magnesium, you ought know.
On 8/7/2015 9:40 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

My gall bladder started going bad on a Sunday night. Had a sudden attack and was on the floor crying from the pain for a good 45 minutes. I went to the Dr's office Monday morning for an ultrasound. I was scheduled to have it take out that Friday. Tuesday through Thursday before the surgery I have multiple gall bladder attacks - excruciating pain to the point I'd be on the floor crying, and they were causes by eating anything that had even the smallest amount of fat in it. By Friday morning I was ready to rip the thing out myself.
Right after the gall bladder surgery I had extreme digestion problems. Couldn't eat anything with fat in it for a long time because I couldn't digest the fat. Eventually, my body adjusted to where I could eat more normally, but it took about 10 years to get to this point, although, sometimes high fat foods still don't agree with me. The fat in fried foods just me feel bad, too.

I'd rather live w/o a gall bladder than live with the pain when it went bad. I pay more attention to Potassium, but not so much to Magnesium, although I'm sure I get magnesium in my diet.
--
Maggie

On 8/7/15 11:33 PM, Muggles wrote:

I imagine the trick is not to eat too much fat at one time.
I weighed my Canola bottle when I made fries this morning. I used 10 grams of oil, about 85 calories. Some of the oil ends up on the stove top, where I have to wipe it up, so I consume less than 10 grams. (My secret recipe uses silicone.)
One reason I eat fries at breakfast is so I'll get a shot of bile in my stomach because it takes bile to start to turn the beta carotene in my vitamin pill, into Vitamin A.
On 8/8/2015 7:16 AM, J Burns wrote:

I usually drink a chocolate Boost for breakfast. If I eat something fried first thing in the morning it has a bad effect on everything and I can't digest the food at all because of the fat. Everything I eat goes through in about 20 minutes after I eat, then I feel poorly for a couple of hours and don't feel like eating anything at all. OTOH, if I don't eat anything with fat in it first thing in the morning, then 95% of the time I can handle some fat in the food around lunch time.
I used to put powdered creamer into my morning coffee, but that had a bad effect, too, so I went to using canned milk (a little sweetness and a little fat) and my body didn't reject that.
I just can't tolerate much fried foods any more, or high fat foods.
--
Maggie

On 8/8/2015 12:10 PM, Muggles wrote:

I saw a case of boost (or was it Slimfast) in a custial closet at church, one time. Asked the custodian if he was on a diet. No, he keeps em in case he gets hungry between meals. No cooking or refrigeration needed. Open it up, drink it in, and he's good till the next meal.
I thought that was clever.
On 8/8/2015 5:42 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I like them cold, but that's just me.
--
Maggie

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 4:03:29 PM UTC-4, J Burns wrote:

Congratulations Sir! Your skepticism and critical thinking is spot on. There's a reason you got a 404 error. That study was withdrawn from the peer reviewed science journal it was published in because of overwhelming criticism and debunking by peer scientists, with concerns ranging from poor methods to fraud.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278691512005637
"This article has been retracted: please see Elsevier Policy on Article Wit hdrawal (http://www.elsevier.com/locate/withdrawalpolicy ).
The journal Food and Chemical Toxicology retracts the article "Long term to xicity of a Roundup herbicide and a Roundup-tolerant genetically modified m aize," which was published in this journal in November 2012. This retractio n comes after a thorough and time-consuming analysis of the published artic le and the data it reports, along with an investigation into the peer-revie w behind the article. The Editor in-Chief deferred making any public statem ents regarding this article until this investigation was complete, and the authors were notified of the findings."
But the folks with an agenda apparently keep using it anyway and some people are easily duped.

Unfortunately, "the guys wearing lab coats at the EPA" do not make policy. The bureaucrats at the EPA do. Who are they? Why "they" are mostly ex-Monsanto 'crats. Whatta surprise!:
http://tinyurl.com/oasdxkz
nb

So, you see "policy" in that fact sheet? If there was any there, I skipped over it. The opinions of bureaucrats and fear mongerers are just that, opinions.
--
Dan Espen

Oh, I see how yer kinda reality works. You didn't see it, so therefore it must not exist. Kinda like GMOs. You haven't exploded, yet, so they must be OK. ;)
nb
On 8/6/2015 1:45 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

I can drink orange juice, but that doesn't mean it is safe to pour in my lawn.
Can't quote the source, but on TV one time I saw a guy claim it was drink it safe. The TV guy reached under the table and pulled out a spray bottle of roundup he said he bought earlier that day. Invited the guy to drink it, the guy refused. Wisely so, I think.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
trader_4 wrote:

like a hard rock preventing weed growth. I bought and used this stuff from HD when I prepared my front patio.
On 8/6/2015 9:04 AM, notbob wrote:

I use boiling water. A friend gave me her old electric teakettle, I keep it in the garage and fill it from the outside tap when I take action against the weeds in cracks. If you've got a surplus tank sprayer, just fill that with boiling water and you won't even have to lean over to nail the weeds.
Yes, more weeds will eventually sprout, but it's no big deal. I only need to do it three or four times a season.
You probably have every thing you need in your kitchen and/or laundry room. Take a gallon of vinegar mix in a cup of salt and a half cup of dish dete rgent. Mix it up and spray it on a nice day with no rain in the forecast. You will notice it to start dying in a couple of hours. In a day or two i t will all be dead. That is what I do and it works great.
Jim