Granite Counter Tops

You're absolutely clueless. Granite is better than almost all kitchen surfaces available (concrete might do as well but its ugly).
There is a reason granite is used in pizza ovens. The same principles are at work for baking.

Not at all. It's just better. Those who rail against granite are only interested in the "Wa, I'm jealous" syndrome; the same sorts as the "occupy" crowd.
On 2/5/2012 6:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

suit yourself asshole. I could afford solid gold, but mine are quartz. thanks for playing. Granite and stainless are merely fads you got caught up in.
--
Steve Barker

I have, but your free to continue whining.

Yeah, right... Your obvious jealous rant belies your claim.

I might agree with you on stainless (it serves no real purpose, but to look pretty) but you're dead wrong about granite.

It is not that hard to scratch. I have a big piece on my work bench and it is scratched all to hell. Not a bad use for Corian tho if you can get it cheap enough. The material itself is not particularly expensive. You pay for the "certified installation".
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Bearing%20carrier.jpg
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

Looks like all you need is a little soft scrub and a truck to drive over it.
--
Dan Espen

I guess it comes down to values. I'd rather live in a room the color I like rather than tolerate bland for the sake of re-sale. You can always repaint when you list the house. Right now, granite would add some value, perhaps a bit more than other ice counter tops.
We've been in this house for 30 years and it is just the way we like it. Next move will be to the nursing home or cemetery so I'm not concerned about selling. We do plan to do some sprucing up this year, but no major renovations.

I'm on my third house with granite. I think I might like to try one with concrete, but my first choice from experience is granite.
As for butcher block, they have health issues if they are too large to clean easily, but then, the old butchers didn't seem to have a lot of problems, did they?
Steve

When I was in high school, I worked in a grocery store and butcher shop. At the end of the day it was my job to clean the butcher blocks. We put sawdust and scraped them, then wiped with a bleach solution.
Cared for properly, there are no health issues.

You cannot argue this point with some people, though. My daughter and SIL will eat only begrudgingly out of our kitchen because we use wood cutting boards and even (GASP!) synthetic ones that could harbor bacteria. Not sure what they cut on at home. Yeah, this is the couple that replace their kitchen sink scrubbies and sponges twice a year. Whether they need it or not.
Steve
On 2/4/2012 10:24 PM, Steve B wrote:

Many commercial kitchens use color coded plastic cutting boards.
http://www.clicksa.com.au/clientwebs/polardis/productimages/largeitem341.jpg
Particularly useful in long term care and hospitals where you got fed, state and local inspectors breathing down your neck.

Wood has natural anti-bacterial properties. Plastic does not. Either works if you clean it properly between uses.
On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 00:19:04 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I have maple counter tops but they are finished with poly urethane., They are not cutting boards. I have a big cutting board surface over the stainless counter top between the stove and sink that is treated appropriately. I did not believe the maple would hold up but I am over 10 years into it and they are doing fine with pretty rough usage. The one that really takes a beating is due for another coat of urethane (first time it needs it) but that is no big deal.

It's true. Wood (some kinds more than others) has natural antibacterial properties. If not, trees would be eaten by microorganisms a lot faster.
--
Best regards
Han

o granite we must have granite. Man, those people are too stupid. Next year it'll be something else.

No, after having granite countertops, she won't have anything else. They actually *are* better than the laminate crap. Sorry if you can't afford it.
On 2/4/2012 11:42 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Some of those "crap" laminate counters hold up well for several years.
On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 23:46:31 -0600, gonjah <gonjah.net> wrote:

Sure, but crap is always crap. Once you go granite, she'll never go back to laminate. BTDT.
On 2/5/2012 10:21 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

We're getting granite in the kitchen. SWMBO insists. We already have some in the bathroom. The laminate that's in the kitchen now looks fine. It's at least 10 y/o because that's when we bought the house. It would outlast me. Looks great and cleans up nice. Far from crap.
We'll probably get silestone instead of granite. We go shopping this week :(
On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 13:24:43 -0600, gonjah <gonjah.net> wrote:

She's a smart woman. It *is* crap. Just because it "lasts" ten years doesn't make it any less crappy. She'll love the granite.

From my experience, the quartz materials are about 2-3x the price of granite. I really like some of them but would rather put the money into better granite. Some of them are really pretty, but expensive (not sure how I'd like some long-term, though).
On 2/5/2012 3:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

We're going to need a unusual cut so I'm not sure we can use granite. We have granite in the master and guest bath. I do like it. I'm hoping to preserve some of our laminate counters for now due to cost. We have a lot of counters so I want to do the most visible first. Due to costs I want to do this in stages.