Granite Counter Tops

We're getting granite in the kitchen. SWMBO insists. We already have some in the bathroom. The laminate that's in the kitchen now looks fine. It's at least 10 y/o because that's when we bought the house. It would outlast me. Looks great and cleans up nice. Far from crap.

We'll probably get silestone instead of granite. We go shopping this week :(

Reply to
gonjah

gonjah wrote in news:w4idnXhIUpldH7DSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.toastnet:

Uncalled for

Reply to
John Carter

I'm using a piece of Corian left over from the counter as a cutting board. Twelve years so far. Sure the knife leaves lines, but you have to look really close and it really doesn't look bad.

I wouldn't cut directly on granite. Wouldn't a knife do the same thing to granite?

Nope, the web sites say soft scrub and a scouring pad.

We did have an problem with our Corian, we cooked a turkey in our microwave with the microwave directly on the counter in a corner. With a loud bang, the counter cracked from the wall to edge.

Corian fixed it for free. It's not possible to see the repair.

Anyway, everyone has their preferences. Stone looks pretty cool but I'm sold on the practicality of Corian.

Reply to
Dan Espen

LOL. He is such a nice guy.

Reply to
gonjah

It is not that hard to scratch. I have a big piece on my work bench and it is scratched all to hell. Not a bad use for Corian tho if you can get it cheap enough. The material itself is not particularly expensive. You pay for the "certified installation".

gfretwell

Isn't your mommy proud?

Reply to
krw

It will if there are enough.

I wouldn't either. It'll ruin the knife. Grainite, unsurprisingly, is a

*lot* harder than Corian (plastic).

Not when it's badly scratched. It has to be sanded out and it's not easy, so I'm told by people with Corian, to make look right. For a kitchen, no thanks! Granite is cheaper and better. I have no issue with Corian in a bath. I might prefer it, actually.

Because it *does* damage fairly easily.

That's the big advantage of granite. It's cool. Literally. ;-) It's great for baking. SWMBO loves the island for rolling out dough.

Reply to
krw

She's a smart woman. It *is* crap. Just because it "lasts" ten years doesn't make it any less crappy. She'll love the granite.

From my experience, the quartz materials are about 2-3x the price of granite. I really like some of them but would rather put the money into better granite. Some of them are really pretty, but expensive (not sure how I'd like some long-term, though).

Reply to
krw

As proud as she "could" be. Passed away about 15 years ago.

Reply to
gonjah

Amazing. ...before you were born.

Reply to
krw

We're going to need a unusual cut so I'm not sure we can use granite. We have granite in the master and guest bath. I do like it. I'm hoping to preserve some of our laminate counters for now due to cost. We have a lot of counters so I want to do the most visible first. Due to costs I want to do this in stages.

Reply to
gonjah

LOL. You're a few decades off.

Reply to
gonjah

If you're not doing surfaces at the same time, be careful that they don't need to be even close to matching. Matching stone is even harder than wood/stain. We have five surfaces (not counting the second side of two 'L's) in the kitchen. Different stone on them would look pretty bad. The two largest, the 'L's would look terrible if they didn't match. The others, at least, aren't next to each other.

The only laminate we have in this house is in the laundry. All four baths have granite tops. I'd rather they had made them all the same. :-(

Reply to
krw

Good point. I'll have to look into that. I'm not sure how much it would matter but I don't make those types of executive decisions around here. The counters are tiered so not matching might be a good thing.

Reply to
gonjah

Same as ours. It might also be that "close" isn't nearly as good as not so close.

Reply to
krw

Corian makes a repair kit consisting of two parts, one colored polymer in acrylic monomer and the other a curing agent.

The Corian itself is acrylic polymer with alumina filler.

Reply to
Frank

people who worship the granite god are not interested in practicality. They are only interested in the 'look at me' syndrome.

Reply to
Steve Barker

You're absolutely clueless. Granite is better than almost all kitchen surfaces available (concrete might do as well but its ugly).

There is a reason granite is used in pizza ovens. The same principles are at work for baking.

Not at all. It's just better. Those who rail against granite are only interested in the "Wa, I'm jealous" syndrome; the same sorts as the "occupy" crowd.

Reply to
krw

suit yourself asshole. I could afford solid gold, but mine are quartz. thanks for playing. Granite and stainless are merely fads you got caught up in.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I couldn't convince to worry about the radioactivity?

:)

Maybe we _will_ try stone for the next kitchen, if we live that long.

Reply to
Dan Espen