Goodman AC Lemon

Page 2 of 3

KJPRO wrote:

Ah, thanks. I found this:
"Formicary coil corrosion is caused by contaminants in the air that collect onto the condensation that forms on indoor coils during a cooling cycle. These contaminants turn into acids when they are exposed to the moisture, etching the copper of the coils in a manner that looks like tunnels in an ant farm."
I'm in Texas where the people and the air are pure, so we don't see air-coil ant-farms (we do, however, have fire ants and law schools).
The OP is in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I'm not sure that contributes to the air quality. Maybe he's downwind from an unsanitary Taco Stand.
Add pictures here
✖

Doesn't matter where you live today, as the newer coils are made cheap with cheap materials. That means thinner and thinner copper being used to keep things cheap while making them more efficient.
Formicary corrosion is caused by household products off gasing fumes. They include but are not limited to... carpets, furniture, hair spray, purfume, etc, etc... New homes are effected the worse, as everything is new and the gases are stronger, sometimes effecting a coil in less than a year. There's new coils being manufactured to slow this effect down... as it is a major problem in todays world.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 25, 2:38 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hi all.
With Goodman being the hands down low price leader; Goodman has been the #1 choice here on the coast especially since Katrina. You see them on million $ plus homes.
I have to love them because we get a great deal of service calls because of them. They are very simple to work on as you all know.
But I do prefer to work on them when they have been installed by others.
As for us installing them; we were forced to after the storm due to the low price. But we don't anymore. Payne with their package pricing is about the same price. Depending on tonage Payne can be lower in price.
Any brand can and will have problems but the one thing that keeps us from installing Goodman anymore is poor warranty parts availability. Especially coils. We have had several occasions where we had to wait up to 12 weeks for a warranty coil. On each occasion we called all the local distributors and there was not a coil to be had in the country. I have to assume that they batch their factory for efficiency and this causes the supply disruptions. If anyone knows some secret that I don't know to help us get coils quicker, I am all ears.
Bye now:

Add pictures here
✖
KAubert (Air-Care) wrote:

Yes. You can sell Goodmans the same way suppliers of military equipment do: with a spare-parts pack. You can specify that every system you buy from Goodman come with a box of matching parts that experience says you can be expected to replace during the warranty period: coils, compressor, etc.
Add pictures here
✖

I never have problem getting parts or coils for Goodman. The supply hose I deal with will take a part off a new unit if they don't have one in stock including an Air handler coil. The only problem where I had to wait almost a week was I had one condenser coil leak under warranty in almost twenty years of installations. I don't remember ever having a leak in a package unit coil that needed replaced either. And Goodman is not the cheapest either. I know Payne & Lennox's Aire-Flo brand are cheaper. There's probably a few others like Grand Air, Whirlpool,etc.. that are just as cheap.
Add pictures here
✖

[...]
Keith,
I have found that *most* evap coil failures have been from not having the drain properly trapped. This is especially prevelent on heat pump air handlers, and fan coils with straight electric heat. Rarely do I find rusted out, leaky coils with gas furnaces, regardless of if its trapped or not.
Add pictures here
✖
Steve wrote:

Rusty? The coils from Goodman I've seen [and Carrier] have plastic drain pans. No?
--
Zyp

Add pictures here
✖
Zyp wrote:

Older installs didn't. And I do believe that the decent ones are Fiberglass.

Add pictures here
✖

I wasn't talking about the pans under the coils, I was talking about hte coils themselves and the tin tubesheets on the ends of the coils. When the tubing wall thickness is no more than .025 inch, then it doesn't take much to pierce the tubing. Rust on the tube sheets will do that just fine.
Add pictures here
✖
Noon-Air wrote:

That's what was happening with the CARRIER package unit I just repaired. The tubesheet(s) were rusted fairly bad. But the refrigerant leak on the coil was up higher in the coil and mid tube away from the base pan and tubesheets. Rusting tubesheets had little to do with it.
--
Zyp

Add pictures here
✖
KAubert (Air-Care) wrote:

You told the story.. Goodman had to furnish millions of HVAC equipment in a short period of time. Their warranty is good but slow due to shortages of parts and the personal to process it. Can you imagine the massive effort to produce millions of product, when your geared for hundreds of thousands?

Add pictures here
✖

[...]
=============================================================== Nice to see some people in your profession can speak civilly. Thanks for your response and thanks to the OP for cross-posting. Very informative.
Add pictures here
✖
KAubert (Air-Care) wrote:

Why don't you just 'fix' the coil. It's copper. It's relatively easy to remove, pressurize, locate, repair, and reinstall, dehydrate, and charge.
Just recently I had to fix a CARRIER 48SS package unit, and an older Day & Night. [Leaking evaporators.] What I find funny is I haven't had to fix any Goodman's but, SUMMIT, ASPEN have been popular and RHEEM's seem to be top on the list last year for leaks.
--
Zyp

Add pictures here
✖

Are you going to repair the ones leaking in the tube sheets?
Add pictures here
✖

Goodman is rated LAST in a poll by 67000 by Consumer Reports.. Eat on that Khack ,, you aint no pro KJpro, u a hack bosso. A Goodbitch hackpo
Add pictures here
✖

Goodman is rated LAST in a poll by 67000 by Consumer Reports.. Eat on that Khack ,, you aint no pro KJpro, u a hack bosso. A Goodbitch hackpo
Wow... are we getting mad... just because you can't handle FACTS... there's no need to get your blood pressure up.
Add pictures here
✖

5 bucks says that 95% of the leaky Rheem coils were "M" coils in air handlers, where the drains were not trapped properly.
Add pictures here
✖
Noon-Air wrote:

Naw, these were older coils before the "N" series ..... when plastic [fiberglass] pans weren't out yet. But for the sake of argument, we had several brand new 5 ton ADP [Lennox] coils with leaky pans [craked] from the factory. Wasn't fun changing them out either to new pans. After that, we were opening the boxes on the dock before accpeting them.
--
Zyp

Add pictures here
✖

If thats true, then what HVAC company do you work for??
Add pictures here
✖

Can train a human to do resi... whether they do it right the first time is a completely different issue.
Add pictures here
✖