Goodman AC Lemon

Page 1 of 3

Evidently Goodman sells lemon air conditioning. Do yourself and your customers a favor and don't ever buy a Goodman or Amana product.
I have a unit that is 4 years old. I've already replaced the condenser coils. The compressor sounds like hell, and I had to put a hard-start cap on it.
And now the evaporator coils need to be replaced. My AC has been down for a week. First, Goodman told the service guys that they didn't make the coils anymore. Then they came up with a replacement which they said would be there overnight. Then when the service guys went to pick it up, they said they didn't have any in stock.
So now I have in Florida heat without air conditioning for another week until Goodman finds a replacement coil and sends it here.

Gotta hate it when the lowest price comes back to bite you inna ass.
Noon-Air wrote:

My guess is he had a dud installer.
Don't look at me. I'm in New York.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

LOL!

At least you know your work...
CJT wrote:

Hi, Right on that is good combination. Good product needs also good installer who knows what s/he is doing. Good tech can make even a Goodman work OK.
Tony Hwang wrote:

I would have said a bad installer can make even a Goodman work poorly.
CJT wrote:

Don't fight lads, Your convoluted opinions don't cut any ice here. no matter how you present it. ;-p

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

One would expect from this that this is a conclusion based on a large number of reports.

Now it seems that in fact you're saying this because *you* got a bum unit. Don't you know that every product from every manufacturer is less than 100% glitch-free? You have no business telling people to avoid a single product, let alone an entire manufacturer, based on your one experience with one unit.

The OP is a home owner, and most likely not a tech. It was the cheapest equipment, most likely installed by the lowest bidder for be found. The OP didn't get what he didn't pay for, and now he's pissed.
Remember the commercial "Pay me now, or pay me later"?? Guess what, its later.

Well I got a Goodman gas pack this year. It's putting out 58 deg when it's 100 outside with the sun on it and 52 when the sun does down representing a 20 to 26 degree differential. So, I can't complain.
I guess my experience negates the OP's experience.
It will be serviced by the company who installed it in the spring. Any preventative maintenance (PM) it needs it will get. I prefer paying PM anually in pieces vs saving a nickel anually then whining because something got fried being over worked.
Change your filter every time you get your utility bill & pay the man for a yearly checkup & you'll be a happy camper.
goodluck geothermaljones

My filters have always got changed the first of the month religiously. A nice touch; with the install came a 12 month supply of filters.
By that logic I should tell everyone to buy the unit that I installed in my house about 10 years ago. It's a heat pump & its run trouble free since the day I installed it. I've never touched it since, not even done any periodical check-ups. Guess what brand it is, oh! it's a Goodman.
Your problem seems to be not with the equipment but with the people you're dealing with. I wouldn't be surprised if the condenser coil was replaced on a guess & now the next thing to replace is the evaporator coil. If you replace enough stuff sooner or later the leak will have to stop.

And we have no idea if it was run without those pesky filters or is still sporting the original one. Or maybe it's installed directly under an eve bombarded by water or better yet below a valley. Bulls-eye for icicles.

Don't forget about animal urine on outdoor coils and indoor air quality issues for the evaporator...
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

How could an evaporator coil go bad? Did your technician charge the system with ammonia instead of Freon?
If you've been using the same A/C company, I'd switch.

Depending on the brand and the installation, if its not done correctly in the first place, you can expect 7 - 10 years befor they start leaking.... if it was installed correctly, and properly maintained, you may get 18 - 30 years before your have problems.

Simple, they start leaking... Look up formicary corrosion.