Good for firewood?

over wood from an apple tree I cut down a couple years ago. It sure sounds like cottonwood to me. Very soft wood. Similar to basswood. Might be good for a woodcarver. Not terrific firewood - burns easiy but not a lot of heat - more smoke than, say, maple or oak.

Reply to
clare

But this is a COTTONWOOD tree - not a pear tree or apple tree. I wouldn't smoke food with it - but it WILL smoke when burned.

Reply to
clare

Your original comment was that it was worthless for _firewood_. The only thing you medntioned about that was it produces a lot of ash.

There is a lot of cottonwood used for firewood where other species aren't available.

Comes down to a cord of cottonwood in the stacks is way more valuable than a cord of oak you don't have.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Why? If you can smell smoke inside the house there is something seriously wrong with the installation or chimney.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

What is your opinion on Willow as firewood? It is the only species readily available here in the Palouse (Washington State). Haven't looked recently but IIANM it ranks right with Cottonwood at near the bottom of the charts. I heated my house almost 100% with Willow for over 30 years because anything else required a 100 mile roundtrip (or more) for Fir or Tamarack. Willow won the "cost per btu" hands down as I could get all I wanted withing a few miles of the house. Used

6-7 cord/yr. Last winter was my first using Black Locust (right at the top of the charts). The locust borere moved in around 20 years ago and I have been cutting it for the past 6 years. burned the last of the willow the prior season.

Yes, the use of the "poor quality" wood require feeding the stove more often and thus the usual complain "it leaves a lot of ash. Oddly, burn more wood for the same heat will result in "more ash". Not a surprise.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Just a comment on "throw it in the stream" Don't do it. It will only stay there and not rot as long as it remains covered with water.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

It's still pretty much worthless; only that if there's nothing else then one may have to make do...

And I also mentioned it doesn't burn worth a crap for fire, too...too fast if dry and not easy to keep going if wet.

All in all, as a wood except for pulpwood and some other very limited uses it's just not much of anything to brag about.

It's much better as a tree.

Reply to
dpb

That's what I meant by stream *bed*. It only floods for about 10 or

20 hours a year, spread out over about 4 incidents a year. The rest of the time it's the ground may be damp but there's no standing water in that part of the bed. The normal stream has running water all the time, but this is the flood stage bed.

The property management woman was going to call the company that mows the lawn. I guess they would take the wood away, but would they find a better use for it?

Maybe the pieces of the trunk but what about the limbs that are 4 inches thick or less?

It seems like a lot of work for them for very little benefit to society. Plus they bill the HOA.

Reply to
micky

Maybe I can put it back together again.

All my muscles are sore and I was too tired to do any work on Wednesday, but my back has not hurt since Tuesday, the day I cut it up. . It's been hurting for 3 months if I walk more than 10 minutes.

Reply to
micky

I'm curious. Just what do you think you would accomplish by tossing it in the stream bed?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I see. So your complaint about it burning "poorly" comes down to not knowing how to regulate a fire.

Bottom line: You are the common variety uninformed "wood snob". I wonder just how much wood you personally have actually burned in a stove.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I think you have it nailed. While some wood is beter than other, if you do not mind the work and the cost is much less, any wood is fine to burn. Maybe with the exception of pine.

I have burnt a lot of poplar wood because the trees were on my land and in the way . I needed them cut and did not want to waste the wood. I could cut what I wanted when I wanted. To get oak or other hard wood, I would either have to buy it, or wait for someone to call me about a tree. I had to load the stove about 3 times as much in a day as I do for oak.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

burn in a campfire within a month of cutting; but, a year later, it burned like it was nuclear power.

Reply to
DD_BobK

burn in a campfire within a month of cutting; but, a year later, it burned like it was nuclear power.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Willow is OK if you soak it full of used crankcase oil. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I get rid of it.

Reply to
micky

Hard work is good therapy!!!!

Reply to
clare

I'm at camp. Dry wood would be nice. It's burning very slow.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Another moron heard. You probably have never burned wood or even knew anyone who had. But then I am talking to a moron who doesn't know that top posting is anathema in usenet.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Give me your firewood address and I'll wood it to you. The fomat is something like gregz~comcast.wood .

Reply to
micky