Golf Balls - Windows - Crash

If anyone out there has had to replace window panes due to flying golf balls, I sure could use some recommendations on what type of glass, manufacturer etc. you used as a replacement. Whatever you used, did it work?

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim Jacobs

I lived on a golf coarse for 12 years, Right where the average crapy golfer would hit the ball. To many hits to count but only about 3 broken windows. Also found out under CA. law you assume the responsibility when you buy the house. The golf coarse sometimes will pay if there is an agreement.( right after gas cost $.98 a gal.) I did chase on guy own and got money out of him. I only trimmed the trees the first year we lived there. Finally what I did was find new windows with a new house attached. But still it was fun living on a golf coarse and I have no interest in golf at all.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

What did the glass dealer recommend?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Polycarbonate.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've seen dual pane tempered glass in an French door shattered by a golf ball, hit by a golfer. Normally one would think the ball would break the outer pane of glass and be over. Nope - it went through enough to break both panes and fill the person's breakfast nook with a go zillion pieces of glass.

The same glass was used, tinted and tempered for replacement. The owner was actually able to "catch" and speak with the golfer and did recover some dollars.

Oren

Lexan polycarbonate is what you want.

Reply to
Art

Golf course?

Reply to
Stan

We used to live across the street from a golf course, and one night I dreamt that I lived on it, with my back door about 20 feet from the pin. I'm don't think I actually knew that people did live on golf courses when I had that dream. I'm not even sure they did then. 1962?

We had hundreds of golf balls land in our yard but our windows were too far from the street to hit. My mother gathered them up and sold them to a driving range, periodicially.

I think after we left they changed the course so it didn't happen so much, alhthough that seems like a major change. Maybe we assumed the risk, which was practically zero, but I'm not sure the people driving by were expected to think in advance, Don't drive by the golf course, you might get hit and crash. I know they eventually put up a big net,

40 feet high or more and 20 or 30 feet wide, a few houses down, to keep balls off the street. But I think 500 feet was too far away to affect us.
Reply to
mm

You didn't see them play.

Reply to
mm

Ordinary window glass, if the mean time to golf ball impact is longer than polycarbonate weathering life, which isn't very long. Glass weathers forever. Polycarbonate degrades in UV. Be skeptical of "UV protection" claims.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

You could go with tempered glass, which is 7 times stronger than regular glass, or you could have Lexan (unbreakable) installed.

Another poster wrote that a G/B went thru a double pane doorglass. I would say that was an fluke. You can hit 1/8 tempered glass pretty hard with a hammer and it will bounce off.

Reply to
Ron