Glazed ceramic tile for floors

I am looking to replace my old cracked ceramic tile on the kitchen floor. It is glazed, with brown-on-white ornament, and I am looking to replace it with something similar. To my great surprise, I just could not find it anywhere - for example, Home Depot, and a couple of online stores I've checked, carry glazed tile for walls only; all their flooring tile looks dull, with this rough, stone-like surface.

I would highly appreciate if anybody could suggest where I can find glazed tile for floors.

Reply to
Ikon

online

There are two basic reasons why glazed floor tile is hard to come by. It shows every scratch and it's much more slippery when wet.

RicodJour

Ikon,

Ask for and look at porcelain floor tile. I found this helpful.

G Henslee

Go to a real tile store. You are really looking for a porcelin tile, just be sure it has enough texture to have decent traction. Lea makes a nice selection. I have the Acero in my house. It has a wood look.

Reply to
gfretwell

I realize there was a recent thread on undercabinet halogen lighting vs fluorescents, but this is a different twist on kitchen lighting: Any of you folks have experience with halogen ceiling track lighting in kitchens using MR-16 vs GU-10 bulbs? The former are 12-volt and would have attached stepdown transformers and have integral reflector cones that enclose the bulbs, the latter AFAIK are 120v line voltage bulbs that need no transformer and no special dimming switch, but lighting quality is unknown to me. In my living room I get some buzzing from the transformers that feed the MR-16's, so wonder if the 120v versions would be better or at least quieter. My existing ceiling has 120v tracks, and I don't want to get a central transformer. My main concern is the intensity, and spectrum, of the two kinds of halogens. Why is one preferable to the other?

Reply to
Gerry Atrick

Glazed floor tiles aren't very popular anymore so you aren't going to find them at the big box stores. Try going to some local tile only stores and see if they can order what you want.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.