Giving body to mortar ? perlite? peat moss?

I have a wood column I'd like to mesh and mortar into a rock column.
I was able to do the same mortar design another part of the house applying a top coat of a techitured paster (silica) with tit like ridges i then sanded down. The effect was a coral rock like look that fools the eye.
Problem is I need to lay the mortar extra think as the column is not that thick this time and have it bulge in places 2 to 3 inches thick from the steal mesh.
I plan to use a mortar with some pvc additive that's suppose to be extra resistant to cracking. I've tried it before and it's extra hard and durable but does not look good as the final coat. Hence the need for the silica plaster for texturing. However, i'm not sure I can laying 3 inches thick alone.
I've heard of people adding perllite and peat moss to mortar or concrete so that it can be molded into thick objects. Is this a good technique? Advisable?
Any other suggestions.

Gardeners use perlite <sp> and/or peat moss to make outdoor planters. The method allows for lighter , easier moved plants, etc. They are thick and molded and must be cured for some given period.
Think moisture!!

hypertufa
Basic Recipe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertufa

Ah yes. I recall researching way back for another project and I even making a sample.. kinda cool
But I wonder if it will be durable enough for a high traffic area or on the chance a basketball or frizbie might strike it. Also will it allow me to turn the corner on a eight inch column. I wounder how it will take an acid stain.
Worth an experiment .
Thanks.
jc wrote:

Read up on "ferro-cement". Basically, use multiple layers of chicken wire to form a shape, force mortar into it.
--

dadiOH