GFCI Requirement?

Page 2 of 2

That's quite an amazing story. I've never seen a trades person so concerned about anything that's only going to be used for an hour. Nor does it make sense that it's OK for it to be non-GFCI if the outlet is less than 20 ft away. Outside, I'd be most worried about a tool shorting, cutting the cord with a power tool, etc. Would not seem to have much dependence on the length of the extension cord. Is that some OSHA rule?
Why couldn't they just run an extension cord to any outlet in the house that is GFCI? That would appear to meet the arbitrary requirements.
On 4/26/2012 5:48 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

cord. All went to hell over the fence distance anyway, so wasn't worth the trouble to pursue it.