getting rid of cat smells

Page 2 of 2
Jon Danniken wrote:

The stuff I used a few years back said to apply generously and then cover the area with very damp towels. You had to keep applying the damp towels for 24 hours before letting the area dry. Once it dried the smell was gone.
Ned Flanders wrote:

Yep, that sound like the stuff. The enzymes need the water to perform their chemical reaction, neutralizing the molecules which cause the stench.
Jon

Yep. The stuff I had was powder you mixed with water and I saturated the area. There was just enough to soak the entire spot and it took a couple days to dry.
I was so pissed off. The neighbor had left his dog chained in the yard while we socialized, about 2 hrs. As it got dark, he asked if he could bring the dog in. Figuring the dog had had plenty of time to empty itself, I consented. Five mins later that damn dog took what hadda be a half gal crap of almost pure water diarrhea or whatever dogs have. Unfreakin' believable. I tossed the guy a couple rolls of paper towels and went for a large plastic bag. Next day I bought the enzyme deodorizer. I was shocked at how well it worked, eliminating even a trace of odor or color. It wasn't cheap.
The neighbor never came over again. I hadda go to his house with the receipt for the deodorizer. Live n' learn and leave the dog outside!
nb
notbob wrote:

Any guy who chains his dog up isn't the kind of guy I would want to spend any amount of time with, nor is it the kind of guy who engenders respect and admiration from a dog.
Guys like that are best avoided; it's too bad his dog didn't have a choice.
Jon

Here are a couple ideas that worked for us under similar circumstances.
What you have done is good. Also try liberally sprinkling fresh coffee, out of the can, not brewed, on the floor and leaving it for several days. Coffee also helps remove odors from the fridge. The other suggestion is to spread many sheets of scented fabric softener on upholstered furniture, curtains, etc. These don't work over night, more like 2 or 3 weeks. Hope this helps. Bob-tx
I have up close and personal experience with urine odor, its inconvenient but can be completely mitigated:)
First remove everything soft like carpet pad sofa etc. Just discard all of it its not worth messing with.
Scrub down everything! with your favorite detergent, it wouldnt get rid of the smell:( but it will help with what comes next:) DRY THOROUGHLY!! Primer and outdoor poly stick better to clean surfaces:)
SEAL FLOORS with OUTDOOR POLYURETHANE, give everything at least 2 coats. You can use this on paneled wall too. Then prime all painted surfaces with bin or kilz OIL BASE PRIMER, 2 coats then paint everything normally.
The key is outdoor polyurethane so moist weather doesnt soften sealed surfacesand bring the odor back!
This is what fire restoration companies do and it WORKS. You can use outdoor polyurethane on concrete floors too
I flipped a urine soaked home. IT STANKED>
When I was done the odor never reappeared:) the buyer had a clause in the sales agreement that I was on the hook for future odor troubles. they had no troubles.
I applaude you for buyinmg a home you can afford! Too many americans bought way too expensive homes and helped crash our economy:(
On 4/11/2011 6:35 PM, bob haller wrote:

I could have gotten one of those Affirmative Action Loans but chose not to. I knew if anything happened to me there was no backup and sure enough, I got injured and became very ill and lost a lot of everything. At least I didn't own a house to lose. :-)
TDD

the odor was unreal bad. my wiffe thought me insane. after that me and wife looked at a home in florida, the day of the columbia disaster........
she wanted a fancy new home, ME I liked the older cheaper home in a rural area, with mature trees. Its price was cheap it smelled terrible from cats.
I told the realtor the odor isnt a problem , what you do is..... my hot to mitigate odor troubles.
she said obviously you have done this before.........
me and wife couldnt agree to anything so we did nothing.......
I think of this opportunity every winter when its snowing bad.....
I HATE WINTER!
I have used Kennel Odor Eliminator (KOE) for years. It is the best I have found for dog "accidents."
This cat product is made by the same company: http://www.thornell.com/products/Cat_Odor_Off_Concentrate-7-2.html . It is a concentrate.

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/getting-rid-of-cat-smells-629662-.htm quapawgirl wrote:
Thanks to those of you who didn't waste my time be sarcastic and offering zero helpful information. After getting the carpet out and scrubbing the walls down it is getting better day by day so hopefully it wasn't as bad as originally thought. The house didn't smell so bad when I origianlly saw it but i found 3 empty bottles of frebreeze and airfreshenr and it sat empty and shut up for 2 weeks before I could move it and I think that made it worse. Thank you for all the helpful information!
quapawgirl wrote:

Glad we could be of help.
I'm sure your new kitty will appreciate your efforts.
On Apr 13, 1:10pm, ksfoodjunkie_at_yahoo_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (quapawgirl) wrote:

The time to seal things is NOW, and dont lay new carpeting for at least a few months, the urine odor will transfer from the floor if its not sealed and contaminate the new carpet. Rendering it trash.
The carpet can be removed and cleaned thru multiple baths but its not cost effective.
Over time you will lose the odor sensitivity. Your mind will come to ignore it.
Just like smokers dont notice the stench from their killer addiction.....