getting rid of cat smells

"Are Ozone Generators Effective in Controlling Indoor Air Pollution?

Available scientific evidence shows that at concentrations that do not exceed public health standards, ozone has little potential to remove indoor air contaminants."

nb

Reply to
notbob

Here are a couple ideas that worked for us under similar circumstances.

What you have done is good. Also try liberally sprinkling fresh coffee, out of the can, not brewed, on the floor and leaving it for several days. Coffee also helps remove odors from the fridge. The other suggestion is to spread many sheets of scented fabric softener on upholstered furniture, curtains, etc. These don't work over night, more like 2 or 3 weeks. Hope this helps. Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob-tx

Most pet odor elminators work through enzymatic action. As long as the enzyme solution can encounter the offending material within an aqueous solution, the enzymes will be able to break down the molecules which cause the offending odor(s).

The main problem with old stains is that they penetrate the subsurface to a degree which requires a liberal application of the enzyme solution over a period of time to ensure penetration. Most people tend use them as a surface spray, without realizing that you really need to soak the stuff in there, thoroughly saturating the affected area, for it to work. If you don't do it right the first time, the odor will keep coming back, no matter how many little spritzes you spray in the general area.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

The stuff I used a few years back said to apply generously and then cover the area with very damp towels. You had to keep applying the damp towels for 24 hours before letting the area dry. Once it dried the smell was gone.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

Yep. The stuff I had was powder you mixed with water and I saturated the area. There was just enough to soak the entire spot and it took a couple days to dry.

I was so pissed off. The neighbor had left his dog chained in the yard while we socialized, about 2 hrs. As it got dark, he asked if he could bring the dog in. Figuring the dog had had plenty of time to empty itself, I consented. Five mins later that damn dog took what hadda be a half gal crap of almost pure water diarrhea or whatever dogs have. Unfreakin' believable. I tossed the guy a couple rolls of paper towels and went for a large plastic bag. Next day I bought the enzyme deodorizer. I was shocked at how well it worked, eliminating even a trace of odor or color. It wasn't cheap.

The neighbor never came over again. I hadda go to his house with the receipt for the deodorizer. Live n' learn and leave the dog outside!

nb

Reply to
notbob

You need not "air out" the area. Ozone decomposes into plain oxygen in about an hour. That quality makes it easier to decontaminate areas that are difficult to ventilate: root cellars, locker rooms, bottomless pits, etc.

Reply to
HeyBub

Any guy who chains his dog up isn't the kind of guy I would want to spend any amount of time with, nor is it the kind of guy who engenders respect and admiration from a dog.

Guys like that are best avoided; it's too bad his dog didn't have a choice.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Yep, that sound like the stuff. The enzymes need the water to perform their chemical reaction, neutralizing the molecules which cause the stench.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I have used Kennel Odor Eliminator (KOE) for years. It is the best I have found for dog "accidents."

This cat product is made by the same company:

It is a concentrate.

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

Thanks to those of you who didn't waste my time be sarcastic and offering zero helpful information. After getting the carpet out and scrubbing the walls down it is getting better day by day so hopefully it wasn't as bad as originally thought. The house didn't smell so bad when I origianlly saw it but i found 3 empty bottles of frebreeze and airfreshenr and it sat empty and shut up for 2 weeks before I could move it and I think that made it worse. Thank you for all the helpful information!

-------------------------------------

Reply to
quapawgirl

Glad we could be of help.

I'm sure your new kitty will appreciate your efforts.

Reply to
HeyBub

The time to seal things is NOW, and dont lay new carpeting for at least a few months, the urine odor will transfer from the floor if its not sealed and contaminate the new carpet. Rendering it trash.

The carpet can be removed and cleaned thru multiple baths but its not cost effective.

Over time you will lose the odor sensitivity. Your mind will come to ignore it.

Just like smokers dont notice the stench from their killer addiction.....

Reply to
bob haller